Want to live longer and better?
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Sept. 28, 2018, 12:08 p.m.

From Harvard Medical School:

Want to live longer and better? Do strength training

https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/want-to-live-longer-and-better-strength-train

"The average 30-year-old will lose about a quarter of his or her muscle strength by age 70 and half of it by age 90. "Just doing aerobic exercise is not adequate," says Dr. Robert Schreiber, physician-in-chief at Hebrew SeniorLife and an instructor in medicine at Harvard Medical School. "Unless you are doing strength training, you will become weaker and less functional."

I developed an isometric exercise routine for my 93 year old Dad several years ago that he does on a regular basis. I'll share some good isometric exercises with you in the days ahead. They can be done while sitting in a chair.

Comments
By silverspiker - Sept. 28, 2018, 1:17 p.m.
Like Reply

Tai Chi Water Yoga in the pool with the resistence paddles after 3 bong hits of 

sativa/energy; everyday keeps the DR. away...  

By carlberky - Sept. 28, 2018, 4:43 p.m.
Like Reply

After leaving the Hospital, I was sent to a extended care facility. I was told later that they considered me a Project, since I couldn't stand up, and I needed a transfer board to get from my wheelchair to my bed.

After several disappointing weeks of theory, I began to see some progress. That greatly motivated me to the point where I was told to slow down a bit. 

Strength training made my life worth living again. Rubber bands (mostly upper body ), mechanical bike ( both upper and lower body ), and walking a bit further each day with my Walker got me here. Now I'm just trying to maintain what I worked so hard for, by going for walks and using the bands.

By metmike - Sept. 29, 2018, 10:34 p.m.
Like Reply

"Strength training made my life worth living again. Rubber bands (mostly upper body ), mechanical bike ( both upper and lower body ), and walking a bit further each day with my Walker got me here. Now I'm just trying to maintain what I worked so hard for, by going for walks and using the bands."

Carl,

This is worth a post of the week! 

You are the poster "old man" making a case for why everybody should do strength training and some additional exercises for at least 10 minutes a few times a week. Even once a week will have benefits!

The ideal way to do this is to go to the gym. I was once a competitive bodybuilder for 2 decades and have never not had a membership at the best gyms in town for 44 years.

But everyone is different. Some folks reading this may have done zero exercising for years. Those are the people that would benefit the most by just doing some basic stuff at home. 

There are dozens of links/sites on the internet that demonstrate easy exercises that you can do at home. After looking at numerous ones, I thought the one below has some easy stuff that you can at home:

No Equipment? No Excuses: 20 Exercises You Can Do At Home

• No gym,
  • No weights,
  • No equipment.

http://www.laurensfitness.com/2008/07/02/no-equipment-no-excuses-20-exercises-you-can-do-at-home/