Weather Friday
1 response | 0 likes
Started by mikempt - Sept. 8, 2018, 8:35 a.m.

Thanks mike,another hot humid week with three inches of rain overnight. Please tell me  we will miss hurricane Florence next week. I’m ready to go bizerk. I think I’m going to get ricketts 

Comments
By metmike - Sept. 8, 2018, 5:08 p.m.
Like Reply

For those that didn't catch the great humor of Mike's comment about rickets:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rickets

Rickets and Sunlight

Sunlight, especially ultraviolet light, lets human skin cells convert vitamin D from an inactive to active state. In the absence of vitamin D, dietary calcium is not properly absorbed, resulting in hypocalcaemia, leading to skeletal and dental deformities and neuromuscular symptoms, e.g. hyperexcitability. Foods that contain vitamin D include butter, eggs, fish liver oils, margarine, fortified milk and juice, portabella and shiitake mushrooms, and oily fishes such as tuna, herring, and salmon. A rare X-linked dominant form exists called vitamin D-resistant rickets or X-linked hypophosphatemia.

Cases have been reported in Britain in recent years[23] of rickets in children of many social backgrounds caused by insufficient production in the body of vitamin D because the sun's ultraviolet light was not reaching the skin due to use of strong sunblock, too much "covering up" in sunlight, or not getting out into the sun. Other cases have been reported among the children of some ethnic groups in which mothers avoid exposure to the sun for religious or cultural reasons, leading to a maternal shortage of vitamin D;[24][25] and people with darker skins need more sunlight to maintain vitamin D levels.

Rickets had historically been a problem in London, especially during the Industrial Revolution. Persistent thick fog and heavy industrial smog permeating the city blocked out significant amounts of sunlight to such an extent that up to 80 percent of children at one time had varying degrees of rickets in one form or the other.[citation needed] It is sometimes known in German as "the English Disease" (Die englische Krankheit)