September 6, 2018 This day in history
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Sept. 5, 2018, 11:30 p.m.

Pick the event(s) that seem the most amazing.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_6

1492Christopher Columbus sails from La Gomera in the Canary Islands, his final port of call before crossing the Atlantic Ocean for the first time.

1870Louisa Ann Swain of Laramie, Wyoming becomes the first woman in the United States to cast a vote legally after 1807.

1995Cal Ripken, Jr. of the Baltimore Orioles plays in his 2,131st consecutive game, breaking a record that had stood for 56 years.

OK, I already picked all the best ones (-:

Comments
By silverspiker - Sept. 6, 2018, 12:35 a.m.
Like Reply

I  do remember watching that Cal Ripken game in 1995.... dude was solid wholeness.

WOW 

By silverspiker - Sept. 6, 2018, 12:42 a.m.
Like Reply

this is odd because September 6th in the history of sailing must have been a good day to start off for a long sail over the Atlantic....because....

• 1620 The Mayflower departs Plymouth, England with 102 Pilgrims and about 30 crew for the New World...
  • Is there some sort of weather pattern that would occur at this time of the year that would be advantageous to leave and sail across the Atlantic??????
By carlberky - Sept. 6, 2018, 11:28 a.m.
Like Reply

As of the start of 1916, a leap year, the Gregorian calendar was 13 days ahead of the Julian calendar, which remained in localized use until 1923. 

With the change from the Common Era (Gregorian CE) to the Anno Domini (Julian AD) those using the Gregorian
calendar leaped BACK 13 days! I wonder if there were birthday and anniversary gifts a second time.