Senate Rules
2 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Sept. 1, 2018, 1:36 p.m.

Can anybody tell me the senate rules to approve Trumps bilateral agreement with Mexico

Obviously we are all aware that Trump wants to push ahead with the Mexico agreement. This seems to have generated a lot of confusion, discussion and I am sure my limited understanding, will be incorrect 

Canada refused any further negotiations on Friday when Canada discovered Trump had no intention of negotiation

Canada's position is: why continue talks about trade when the USA is lying to you

Trump threatens a 25% tariff and by doing so is telling Canada that "might makes right"

Canada in effect said we will continue talks if there is a win-win-win. If Trump wants to push his "might makes right" agenda, does that mean USA citizens agree that Canada should be squished like a bug, and Canada should agree with USA terms that are clearly one sided in favour of the USA. Somebody asked how Canada can even negotiate with Trump, when he can't be trusted as to what he says. When Trump lies to you, what is the end game. I suppose we now know Trump is not a reliable partner. The question remains??? Do the citizens of the USA support a trade agreement with Canada which include this "lying", "might is right" concept of Trump???

So the bilateral agreement with Mexico now goes to the senate, where members on both sides of the aisle have questions about the details and trade groups from the USA are expressing concern about the cost to their supply operations, if Canada is not included. This has the potential to cost new USA assembly plants billions in new facilities and consideration to the latest robotic  assembly equipment. Nobody in the auto industry can assemble cars in Canada with a 25% tariff, thus the cost and time to American auto industry and the uncertainty. I doubt any new jobs will happen in the USA due to excessive cost of building new assembly plants. Billions of new dollars are not feasible. Ford is especially vulnerable on the world market and GM is vulnerable in the NA market. Trump may hear more from the trade groups, but does he understand [or care] the position he is forcing on his own auto industry?? Advanced robots may be the industry answer for more production from existing assembly plants. Overtime has proven to be a short term fix but we all know that is not a long term fix for increased production. Robots show up for work 24/7,, but I get side tracked on industry response and problems

I don't understand, what happens in the senate, given senate concern about details and hearing concern from their state  trade groups 

What is needed from the senate to pass the trade bill with Mexico. Is it a vote of 51% majority??? or something else, as in just a formality that happens no matter what

Congress gave approval for trilateral agreement but seems that does not exactly hold water, according to Trump. He says a bilateral agreement can be done

What has to happen, in the senate, to get a bilateral agreement done, instead of a trilateral agreement. Does Trump just tell the senate and then it happens??

Does the house of representatives just sit on their hands, like  potted plants??? RE: Mexico bilateral trade agreement

Sorry for all the different long winded possibilities, going forward, but I am confused

Can somebody please help me understand what happens in your congress

And don't tell me we should just lie down and be considered road kill, even if that is Trumps agenda.

The USA is quickly running out of allies and friends in the world. No country in history succeeded by withdrawing into protectionism trade policy. Trump is correct that something had to change, but his approach has the world slowly wondering if negotiating with a lying leader is worth the effort

Comments
By mcfarm - Sept. 1, 2018, 4:33 p.m.
Like Reply

sorry, the only kind of friends the USA is running out of are not friends in the first place...this is silliness. Trump and the eu are heading toward zero tariffs, Canada should get on board

By cfdr - Sept. 1, 2018, 7:30 p.m.
Like Reply

The USA is quickly running out of allies and friends in the world.

With friends like this,  .  .  .

A "friend" isn't someone who is looking to take advantage of you wherever possible.  The US is the lowest tariff country in the world, isn't it?  We pay most for Europe's protection, don't we?  How much money does Canada feel the need to spend on military protection?  Who was it that took an agreement (NAFTA) and twisted it to make money using a back door into the US market?

Sorry, your complaining about President Trump insisting that NAFTA be at least somewhat more fair isn't very convincing.