Public saftey food announcement
1 response | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Aug. 16, 2018, 1:33 p.m.

Salmonella, from a plant in Blair, Wisconsin, has been fingered as the source of  massive recalls, of companies making crackers

The Blair plant sells whey, a product of dairy milk, used to make crackers

The  products  that caught my eye were Ritz crackers and Pepperidge Farm crackers, which are the only two products, of many, sold in Canada, and subject to recall

I doubt our market is big enough for any more cracker products

USA Dept of Health announced a public health alert of many other crackers all of which use whey product, from Blair, among the ingredients 

Many other products, for recall, in the USA, were mentioned, but too many to post

USA Dept of Health says it is likely more recalls for more products will be coming as the investigation continues

Can't post the article, as no contact info was available and I don't know how to copy an article from a farm paper to the forum

I hope the Ritz crackers in our home are safe, but seems likely we will stop buying any more Ritz crackers until the recall is complete and the problems in the Wisconsin plant are rectified

I posted about our dairy system, from which whey is a dairy product, and the fact, we have more strict rules about safety rules of dairy products, for sale, of Canadian dairy products

We want no part of co-mingling of americian milk into our Canadian products.

That would invite a health hazard which we don't need

I posted that americian milk has lower health and safety standards for dairy products, sold to the consumer

I would think any cracker product would suffer massive sales losses as consumers will re-act to a food safety alert and recall

We don't need  losses for our dairy products sales, although the popular Ritz crackers will do us some harm

One has to consider our total consumers are 1/10 of your population, thus any loss of sales hurts our economy in a big way

Can you imagine if Wisconsin dairy producers were allowed to supply our dairy needs and this re-call happened

Wisconsin produces enough dairy to supply all our dairy sales in Canada. Just some perspective of our small population and market

Would not happen, I know, but just to put in perspective how small our market is for any consumer product. If allowed dairy would come from many locations, in the USA, subject to cost of transportation and location, to market location.

Ontario and Quebec would be the prime sales location, which is home to me.

I want safe dairy products in our home, and will happily pay 5.00/litre for safe food and a health care system that will not BK me or my family

Sorry to get off track, but you might see our side of the trade issue

Just don't get me started on the round up issue and the massive settlement against Monsanto and the 100's of other cases working their way through the court system

That court decision may not have a happy ending for many farmers in both our countries

Might take some yrs but I am not very optomistic

Just wait until the EPA gets involved

Now I went and put two thoughts in one post

Take yer pick, I suppose

Comments
By metmike - Aug. 16, 2018, 1:56 p.m.
Like Reply