The Three Snakes
9 responses | 1 like
Started by WxFollower - March 16, 2024, 11:59 p.m.

You’ve heard of the Three Bears and Three Blind Mice? How about The Three Snakes?!

On my walk this evening, I saw not one, not two, but THREE different snakes with two poisonous! Regarding the thousands of walks I’ve taken in my lifetime, I’ve never seen three in one walk. I can hardly remember even seeing two during a walk though I may have once or twice. I see one during a walk on pretty rare occasions (probably only ~1% of the walks). And today’s was neither in an unusual location nor unusually long. With tomorrow being St. Patrick’s Day, I wonder if this is just a coincidence. This is kind of eerie!

Here are pics of the two poisonous snakes. Can anyone identify them?

I guess nobody will be able to identify them since they’re possibly too large? I’ll try to post them in replies to this. No, that also didn’t work. Oh well. One had Xs on it. The other had hourglass like things on it.

Comments
By 7475 - March 17, 2024, 9:39 a.m.
Like Reply

What was the deal with those snakes in Ireland anyway?

By metmike - March 17, 2024, 10:58 a.m.
Like Reply

That is pretty interesting, Larry!

I found this study interesting too(fitting into the "climate change causes only bad things to happen and not anything good narrative). Especially because it was about the state you live in:

Warmer weather makes venomous snake bites more likely, especially in spring

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2023/07/230711133302.htm

Climate change is not only making Georgia hotter but also increasing the likelihood of snake bite, according to a new study. Every degree Celsius of daily temperature increase corresponds with about a 6% increase in snake bites, researchers found.

Within the United States, Georgia is something of a snake hotspot, with one of the highest snake densities and diversities in the country. The state is home to 17 species of venomous snake, seven of which are dangerous enough to be of medical concern

Scovronick speculated that the spring association could be because snakes "wake up" during that season, becoming more active and reproducing, while summer days could reach temperatures warm enough to slow snakes down.

++++++++++++++++++++++

The reason this rationale is hogwash is this:

1. If +1 deg. C is impacting snake activity it would only SHIFT the peak time frame in the Spring to being earlier in the year.

2. If Summer days result in temperatures that cause snakes to  slow down, than it would contradict their climate change increases snakes bites narrative. Adding +1 Deg C does not increase days with snake loving weather in the Spring  it DECREASES them in the Summer with an increase in snake hating weather each year. …..so LESS not more snake interactions with humans from global warming. 

3. They made no attempt to correlate with the most obvious reason........ snake population. How about climate change is beneficial to most creatures..........including snakes and this INCREASED their population (just like the Polar Bear population has increased and they won't tell us that because it contradicts the narrative.

4. Larry's anecdotal  evidence might suggest MORE snakes but a sample of 1 is not enough to base a theory on.

By WxFollower - March 18, 2024, 10:45 p.m.
Like Reply

John,

“There are no snakes in Ireland but there is a legend that at the time of Saint Patrick there were lots of snakes and he chased them all into the Irish Sea. Some say that this legend came to be because pagans had tattoos of snakes and Saint Patrick got rid of the pagans by teaching Christianity and therefore drove out the snakes from Ireland.”

From here: https://simple.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Patrick

It appears that both poisonous snakes I saw Saturday evening were two different types of Copperheads. No snakes seen today at the same path, which is normal.

By metmike - March 19, 2024, 3:12 p.m.
Like Reply

Why doesn’t Ireland have snakes?

It's not because of Saint Patrick.

https://www.popsci.com/why-doesnt-ireland-have-snakes/

By WxFollower - March 20, 2024, 10:03 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks, Mike. Interesting!

As I said, I saw 3 snakes on the eve of St. Patrick’s Day. I haven’t seen even one since. Is this just a coincidence? ;)

By metmike - March 21, 2024, 1:41 a.m.
Like Reply

I know that you‘re w not superstitious, Larry!
A man that s so good with statistics and reasoning knows that it would  sort of be like flipping a coin.

In the long run, We expect the coin to land on heads 50% of the time and tails the other half.

But sometimes…..ithe coin will land on heads 3 times in a row!

do it enough times and you’ll get 5 times in a row.

likely to be more just random, natural  variation. 

By WxFollower - March 21, 2024, 2:08 a.m.
Like Reply

Yeah, Mike, I was just messing around/being silly/having fun with this coincidence/randomness as of course you’re as my dad would have said “right as two rabbits”!

My sis though likes to say “everything happens for a reason”. Well, I agree with that if randomness is included as a reason.

By metmike - March 21, 2024, 5:18 a.m.
Like Reply

Speaking of that, Larry,

My wife likes to say “everything happens in 3s!”

Especially tragedies/deaths. 

Every time something would happen in a multiple of 3, she would say….”see, I told you”

I insisted she only remembered those incidents and that 1s were the most frequent, followed by 2s.

So I bombarded her with “see, I told you“ every time anything would happen which would usually not be followed by a similar occurrence.

Of course there were a  few 3s but they would be greatly outnumbered by 2s and the most of all….1s.

By metmike - March 21, 2024, 5:45 a.m.
Like Reply

There’s actually an important lesson here related to climate change.

cliff mass has a golden rule of climate extremes that I’ll copy again When back on my computer.

the media and others want to spin extreme weather as being caused by the climate crisis ….but it’s the exact opposite in most cases.

the more extreme it is, the course the portion that came from climate change and the greater the portion that came from natural variation.

climate change, in essence has superimposed 1 deg. C of warming on the planet…..much more in the highest latitudes and less in the lower latitudes.

A bit more in the drier locations….less in the more humid locations where water vapor is more dominant compared to CO2.

when we have a temperature that’s, let’s say 15 deg.s F  above average, the contribution from the increase in CO2 is only a couple of degrees F.
The rest comes from natural variation that would have happened 100 years ago in the OLD climate.

10 inches of rain in 2 days?

Roughly 9.3 inches  or 93% came from natural variation….and .7  inches or 7% came  from climate change.

Despite these WORSE extremes, the weather/climate has been the best for life in the last 1,000 years.

However, with the indisputable law of photosynthesis being the greatest factor impacted by the increase in CO2, which is well mixed in the global atmosphere, the added 130 parts per million CO2 is adding 26% more plant growth and world food production ON TOP of the better growing weather.

Cold still kills 10 times more people on this planet than heat.

I wonder how many die from snake bites compared to 100 years ago?

4 times as many people may mean an increase but much better treatments  available.

India has the most people and I think the most snakes…...and for sure the most snake bite deaths.

more later