Stock Market up again today
6 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Aug. 6, 2018, 9:33 p.m.

U.S. stocks brush off trade jitters to close higher as tech shares gain    

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-stock-futures-wobble-as-trade-worries-rumble-on-2018-08-06

Nasdaq extends winning streak to fifth session

What drove the market?

Investors continued to weigh solid earnings against repercussions of retaliatory tariffs from trading partners and their impact on financial markets. 

Comments
By metmike - Aug. 6, 2018, 9:35 p.m.
Like Reply

Six factors to watch as the bull market pushes itself toward an endurance record    

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/six-factors-to-watch-as-the-bull-market-pushes-itself-toward-an-endurance-record-2018-08-04

In less than three weeks, the stock market is likely to make history as the longest bull market on record.

By TimNew - Aug. 7, 2018, 3:15 a.m.
Like Reply

The stock market forms a balance between day to day emotions and speculations and the fundamentals. Eventually,  the fundamentals win.   Currently, the fundamentals are as strong as I have ever seen. 

By joj - Aug. 7, 2018, 7 a.m.
Like Reply

When fundamentals were horrible in March of 2009 THAT was the time to invest in the market.  When fundamentals are excellent as they are now, I suspect that one would be wise to hesitate about putting money to work in stocks for the next 5-10 years.  

But as a trader (not investor), I'm bullish right now.

By TimNew - Aug. 7, 2018, 7:37 a.m.
Like Reply

Fundamentals turned the corner in the summer of 2009.  They, almost literally had no where to go but up.  They are the strongest they have been so far.   I'm having trouble finding anything resembling bad news as it stands including, and most importantly, stellar earnings.

The biggest concern I have is that this bull market is approaching the oldest bull there has ever been.  Its not an argument for a reversal,  but it certainly gives rise to the possibility  of a correction.  

But,  barring some really bad news,  which can't be discounted as a possibility, particularly in times like these,  stocks should provide a significant return over the next 5+ years. 

As a caveat,  I am moving to more conservative vehicles,  not because I fear the market,  but at this stage, I need to be in a more preservative mode.  And rising interest rates don't hurt. 

By wglassfo - Aug. 7, 2018, 9:23 a.m.
Like Reply

Hi Tim New

Your last post mentioned that "rising interest doesn't hurt"

This struck me as curious

Would you take the time to explain your comment to this uneducated stk  holder of a  portfolio, consisting of stks and other things such as bonds etc. which I would consider a conservative, buy and hold em portfolio, as per my money manager, who may make small changes from time to time

Obviously int rates are a significant part of my business whilst stks are some what secondary and mostly an estate plan, to allow the estate access to cash quickly.  Thus my "int rate" question

By TimNew - Aug. 7, 2018, 9:55 a.m.
Like Reply

Higher interest rates give better guaranteed yields on money markets and annuities, etc.   It's good news for a better return on safe interest bearing instruments assuming the interest outpaces inflation.

If you rely on debt for business purposes,  it's probably not very good news.