What kind of weather kills the most people in the US?
8 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - July 15, 2018, 3:30 p.m.

Here are some choices to pick from:

Tornadoes

Hurricanes

Heat

Cold

Flooding

Hail

Lightning

Comments
By mcfarm - July 15, 2018, 4:22 p.m.
Like Reply

heat exhaustion

By TimNew - July 16, 2018, 8:02 a.m.
Like Reply

Just a guess,  but I think if you include things like heart attacks during snow removal and winter related accidents,  the cold is the biggest.

By carlberky - July 16, 2018, 8:21 a.m.
Like Reply

I'll go with flooding.

By silverspiker - July 16, 2018, 2:27 p.m.
Like Reply

.... W.A.G. Theory says "heat" ???

P.S.    although I think lightning would be the best way to get "offed"  

By JP - July 16, 2018, 3:34 p.m.
Like Reply

Aw, that's easy -- bad weather. You never hear about people being killed by good weather, now do you?

By metmike - July 17, 2018, 5:09 p.m.
Like Reply

The choices to pick from are below. You would think that the statistics for each individual measure would not change alot, regardless of the source. 

Turns out, different studies use different time frames and you can add or subtract deaths for things like cold and heat based on what you decide to include........as Tim suggested, people who have heart attacks shoveling snow for instance. 

I will fill in the numbers below based on looking at a number of studies and using the Weather Channel numbers as sort of a base.

People killed each year:

Cold-260  Tim guessed it!

Heat-130     SS comes in 2nd

Flooding-81  

Tornadoes-70            

Lightning-48

Hurricanes-46

Hail-less than 1

By metmike - July 17, 2018, 5:32 p.m.
Like Reply

So, lets discuss the Weather Channel stats in their report:

You Will Never Guess What Kind Of Weather Is The Deadliest

https://weather.com/science/weather-explainers/news/weather-event-fatalities-heat

The Weather Channel is a reputable source for all weather right? I mean, they are the Weather Channel!

Yes, they are if you want regular weather, like the daily reports that I provide on the trading forum. However, when it comes to "dangerous" climate change(and climate is just the average weather over a long period), they are very biased and will distort facts to sensationalize their position. 

One can see it in this report from them. It's very true that heat easily kills more people than any of the other types of weather on the bar chart above. 

Notice what's missing?

Yeah, cold..........which kills far more people than heat every year.

Did they just forget to include cold? Yeah, right professional broadcast meteorologists spent a bunch of time getting stats on extreme weather that kills people, prepared a story to put on the air, including using their graphics machine and artist to make the bar charts above and during that entire time, somehow forgot about cold. 

They intentionally left out cold so that they could sensationalize heat and make it look as bad as possible. Showing another blue bar in the chart above that had cold and 260 would cause some people to think........."Hey, maybe warmer temperatures in the Winter are not so bad"

By TimNew - July 18, 2018, 3:51 a.m.
Like Reply

Lies by omission is very popular these days.