White TV news anchors suspended for wearing afro wigs
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Oct. 5, 2021, 12:27 p.m.

White TV news anchors suspended for wearing afro wigs on-air

https://nypost.com/2021/10/04/white-news-anchors-suspended-boss-sacked-after-they-wore-afro-like-wigs-to-present-weather-forecast/

metmike: I can't believe they're not getting life in prison........or even the death penalty for such an infraction(-:

Seriously, this just goes to prove how ultra extreme, ultra overly sensitive and intolerant some people that control decisions in the media are when it comes to anything related to minorities.

How about............just having the guys go on the air and apologize and post apologies on their Facebook/Twitter pages?

What happened is that an extreme activist(s) got involved and threatened to make this incident the centerpiece of smear campaign and use it to obliterate the credibility of the tv station, hurting their ratings(which it would have) and hitting them where it hurts the most.......profits from advertisers.

In today's society, the quickest, most effective way to obliterate somebody's credibility is playing the race card against them.

......And I've been a very strong advocate for civil rights, racial justice and programs that make sense to help the at risk black communities my entire adult life.

Actions like this to pacify the extremists/activists/zealots are actually COUNTER productive.

Why is that?

When you demonize every tiny, exaggerated and sometime innocent act or statement as being racist, when some are actually not, then when the TRUE racist or racist actions take place.......and you treat it exactly like you did with cases like this, you greatly weaken the significance of the response to the TRUE racists.

For instance. What if these guys burned a cross on the sports directors front lawn and left signs using the N word?

The response by the TV station to penalize them(firing them) is not much greater than what they did to penalize them here because they innocently wore an afro wig in a back to the 1970's skit and not realizing that white people, apparently are not allowed to do that out of ignorance.

The anti racist extremists actually shoot themselves in the foot because open minded, objective pro racial justice people like me...........see the reaction as being 10 times worse than the infraction.

And for people reading this story, I would bet the vast majority(even if it was not in the NYP) would think, "dang, the injustice was actually created by the over reaction!"

Comments
By TimNew - Oct. 5, 2021, 12:53 p.m.
Like Reply

When just about everything is viewed as racist,  nothing is racist since the word loses it's meaning.

By metmike - Oct. 5, 2021, 1:02 p.m.
Like Reply

Tim,

Great way to put it. You just said what I did...............with hundreds of words less (-:

By TimNew - Oct. 5, 2021, 1:24 p.m.
Like Reply

A great example of what the "racist" label has become.

Why I Am Suing UCLA - by Gordon Klein - Common Sense with Bari Weiss (substack.com)

Recently, I was suspended from my job for refusing to treat my black students as lesser than their non-black peers.

Let me back up: I teach at UCLA’s Anderson School of Management, and I’ve been doing this for 40 years. I’ve taught 15 different courses, in finance, accounting and law. CNBC has had me on; I’ve been quoted in The Wall Street Journal.

My saga — which nearly led to my firing — began on the morning of June 2, 2020, when a non-black student in my class on tax principles and law emailed me to ask that I grade his black classmates with greater “leniency” than others in the class. “We are writing to express our tremendous concern about the impact that this final exam and project will have on the mental and physical health of our Black classmates,” the student wrote. (There was no project in this class, and it was unclear to me who the “we” in this case was. I suspected the student simply used a form letter he found online and neglected to change the subject.) “The unjust murders of Ahmaud Arbery, Breonna Taylor and George Floyd, the life-threatening actions of Amy Cooper and the violent conduct of the [University of California Police Department] have led to fear and anxiety which is further compounded by the disproportionate effect of COVID-19 on the Black community. As we approach finals week, we recognize that these conditions place Black students at an unfair academic disadvantage due to traumatic circumstances out of their control.”