Has the USA embargo on Cuba been a good idea
1 response | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - July 22, 2021, 3:57 a.m.

Because Cuba has become more news worthy, as of late, even a statement from Biden, making it's way into the news, about Cuba

We all know, Cuba and the USA have a long history which extends for decades.

One  question I have is the USA embargo on Cuba

Cuba trades with many countries but not the USA

Canada trades with Cuba and buys Cuban cigars which are then sold to USA citizens

Cuba uses the embargo by the USA as a major reason for their many failures

Was the USA embargo on Cuba a good idea or perhaps an idea that has been implemented, didn't  do much good and now is the time to lift the embargo???

If the embargo is lifted, I doubt very much if the Cuban economic  situation would have a huge change, for the better. It's hard to support an economy with cigars and sugar. The USA has import restrictions on how much sugar can be imported into the USA in support of domestic USA sugar production, thus Cuban sugar would not find much of a USA market for sugar. Golly and Trump used the Canadian dairy industry import restrictions during the trade talks between Canada and the USA,, but I digress. Cigars, well how many would you have to sell to the USA to make much of an economic difference in the big picture.

However, the Cuban leaders would have fewer reasons to use the USA embargo as propaganda, for a failed state. Yes the leaders could buy new american cars, but why not new chinese or russian cars, today??? if that would be a good idea. I also understand that Wall St would try and find ways to exploit the Cuban people with investment opportunities. Would the Cuban leaders be smart enough to use the propaganda to their benefit?? I don't know??

All things considered, I think the Cuban leaders have used the embargo as a propaganda tool, much to the benefit of Cuban leaders with little gained by the USA

Comments
By metmike - July 22, 2021, 5:10 p.m.
Like Reply

This is a wonderful topic Wayne!

I sure others have an opinion on this and hopefully will take the time to share it..............much appreciated in advance.