I have a question re: homeless people
5 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - June 20, 2021, 10 p.m.

I expect everybody has read about homeless people

Yes: we have homeless in Canada. In fact I have seen homeless since 1980 in both Canada and the USA. When I 1st started trucking this brought me into contact with a wide range of people and also geography. When I 1st started trucking I was introduced to another world, one which I was all alone, and had to learn fast, to survive. I also learned what people would do for a five  dollar bill or ten., but I digress except to say I have seen the under belly of homeless.

However, one thing puzzles me. I read of homeless with open wounds, other medical problems. etc. In Canada if you can make it to the ER you will eventually be looked at by medical staff and treated. No cost

What is it like in the USA. If you can make it to a hospital do you get treatment regardless of ability  to pay??

If so, then why do the homeless at least not go and find medical treatment. I know there are several other reasons why homeless people are in danger, but is inability for medical treatment also a danger to homeless???

Comments
By TimNew - June 21, 2021, 6:48 a.m.
Like Reply

No one can be refused emergency treatment in the US,  regardless of ability to pay.    I believe Reagan put that into place,

By bear - June 21, 2021, 8:22 p.m.
Like Reply

free treatment is a confusing issue.

yes, this was passed when reagan was in office.

yes, if you go into the ER, they have to look at you, and treat you if it is something that can be done right then.  

this happened (law was passed) because there would be an ambulance (in LA) that would run you to the hospital.  they would find out you don't have insurance, and they would turn you away.  then the ambulance would take you somewhere else.  same thing.  again, and again.  an ambulance may go to 5 different hospitals with that patient. and get turned away each time.

so now the hospital has to treat you.  but, for example, if you have cancer, then NO, they do not have to admit you and keep you there and give you all the treatments.  when they admit you, they run the paperwork to see if you qualify for medicaid.  (so the state would pay).  

hospitals complained about having to absorb all those costs.  so this is why hospitals, and insurance companies wrote the ACA to be a corporate handout to hospitals and insurance companies.   

yes, it was lobbyists who wrote the law.  it was intended to be a handout for hospitals and insurance companies.  they sold it as if it were an acceptable alternative to universal healthcare.  

lots of poor people got used to using the ER for their normal doctor.  they know the hospital has to see them.  

sorry,  my experience... the ACA is an absolutely Horrible system.  it would take me 2 hours to tell you all of our bad experiences with obummercare.  

By bear - June 21, 2021, 8:28 p.m.
Like Reply

here is an example.  

we were visiting relatives in dayton.  my son broke his arm.  we took him to the ER.  they took him in, and set the arm, gave him a cast.  our AZ insurance was no good there.  (out of network or something).   but at least they did treat him.  

they gave me a bill.  i paid the bill.  no problem.  it was about 800 bucks.  (18 years ago).  i then took the bill and argued with my insurance in arizona.  they eventually paid part of it (but not quite all of it, maybe 600).  

if i would not pay it,  then the hospital would have been stuck.  or they could sue me for it.  

will they sue a homeless person?... no,  the hospital is just stuck with the loss.  

By bear - June 21, 2021, 8:32 p.m.
Like Reply

this is why the hospital in the poor part of tucson went bankrupt eventually.  city owned, in the poor section.  mostly used by the poor.  no one would pay their bill.  

the poor can afford, beer, cigarettes, tattoos, drugs, junk food, lottery tickets, but no one can afford to pay their doctor bill.  

the city lost too much money, year after year.  and they got rid of the hospital.  someone else bought it.  but it is no longer on the "cities books". 

By wglassfo - June 22, 2021, 12:26 a.m.
Like Reply

Hi Bear

A question not related to my original post

Why would anybody buy a hospital with a money  losing record.

What is it's financial status today?? You probably have no idea but was just curious about why some body would buy such a white elephant. Different rules for private ownership comes to mind but just guessing. As you told us, things are not always as one would think.

Best to you bear. Always good to read your posts and thoughts