And now it's the Bird Flu-Gunter #2
4 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - June 3, 2021, 12:21 a.m.

For some reason that I can't explain, MarketForum will not allow any responses to your earlier thread with the title above Gunter, so I started a new one for you here and copied your comments,  with my response as the 2nd post below.

This happens to a new thread around once every 2 months(usually to me) because of a malfunction that I can't explain or fix. It was nothing that you did differently or wrong..................all we can do is start a new thread.

Started by GunterK - June 2, 2021, 11:10 p.m.            

Over the years, we have read about China’s chickens being killed by the bird flu.

Now, a man in Eastern China was infected with this virus. He was hospitalized for 2 weeks and then released.

No big deal, right?   Well, actually it is a very big deal. This is the very first time this virus has infected a human being. Will there be more?

An interesting side note….

If I am not mistaken, 10 years ago, Dr Fauci and his team did gain-of-function research on the bird flu virus.

If you are not familiar with the term “gain of function”, it describes an effort to artificially mutate a harmless virus into a killer virus, a virus that could kill millions of humans. I don't believe, he succeeded. 

But that was 10 years ago… no connection to this case in China.

Comments
By metmike - June 3, 2021, 12:23 a.m.
Like Reply

"This is the very first time this virus has infected a human being"

Thanks Gunter,

Bird flu's have infected people before. Not many but you are right that its the first time for this particular strain.

This doesn't appear to be a serious threat.

China reports first human case of H10N3 bird flu

https://www.reuters.com/business/healthcare-pharmaceuticals/china-reports-human-case-h10n3-bird-flu-2021-06-01/

"A 41-year-old man in China’s eastern province of Jiangsu has been confirmed as the first human case of infection with a rare strain of bird flu known as H10N3, Beijing’s National Health Commission (NHC) said on Tuesday.

Many different strains of bird flu are present in China and some sporadically infect people, usually those working with poultry. There is no indication that H10N3 can spread easily in humans.

The man, a resident of the city of Zhenjiang, was hospitalized on April 28 and diagnosed with H10N3 on May 28, the health commission said. It did not give details on how the man was infected.

His condition is now stable and he is ready to be discharged. Investigation of his close contacts found no other cases, the NHC said. No other cases of human infection with H10N3 have been reported globally, it added.

H10N3 is low pathogenic, which means it causes relatively less severe disease in poultry and is unlikely to cause a large-scale outbreak, the NHC added."

By metmike - June 3, 2021, 12:27 a.m.
Like Reply

China reports human case of H10N3 bird flu, a possible first

The Chinese government says a 41-year-old man has contracted what might be the world’s first human case of the H10N3 strain of bird flu, but that the risk of large-scale spread is low

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/china-reports-human-case-h10n3-bird-flu-78013193

The news comes amid heightened awareness of the threat of emerging diseases as the COVID-19 pandemic continues to claim lives around the world.

But unlike with coronaviruses, there are global influenza surveillance systems that watch for human cases of bird flu, since a strain named H5N1 cropped up in the late 1990s in Hong Kong’s crowded live-poultry markets.

Between 2013 and 2017, another bird flu named H7N9 infected more than 1,500 people in China through close contact with infected chickens.

With that history, authorities aren’t surprised to see occasional human cases of various bird flu strains and they monitor closely for any signs one is spreading between people.

metmike: If not for the COVID 19 pandemic, this would likely not  have made the news anywhere. 

By metmike - June 6, 2021, 3:22 p.m.
Like Reply

China Denies Reports Of Bird Flu, Says There Are No Birds In China

https://babylonbee.com/news/china-denies-bird-flu-says-there-are-no-birds-in-china

By GunterK - June 6, 2021, 4:04 p.m.
Like Reply

Funny!