Crop condition/planting 5-17-21
9 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - May 17, 2021, 4:01 p.m.
Comments
By metmike - May 18, 2021, 1:17 a.m.
Like Reply

@kannbwx

U.S. #corn was 80% planted as of Sunday, less than the trade expected.

#Soybeans were 61% planted. 

The May 16 planting averages shown here are the 2016-2020 ones (includes super slow 2019). 2014-2018 avgs are corn - 75%, beans - 39%.

By metmike - May 18, 2021, 1:19 a.m.
Like Reply

@kannbwx

U.S. #soybeans were 61% planted as of May 16 - the most ever for the date. Louisiana is the only state where things are (very very) behind.

The Dakotas planted the largest percentage this past week: North (+36 pts) and South (+34 pts). Minnesota leads at 88% complete.

By metmike - May 18, 2021, 1:20 a.m.
Like Reply

@kannbwx

U.S. #corn planting has been ahead of normal pace this year in most states. Ohio, Kansas and Colorado are now lagging.

Iowa and Minnesota are about done. Biggest movers on the week were Wisconsin (+29 pts), North Dakota (+27) and Michigan (+24).

By Jim_M - May 18, 2021, 10:58 a.m.
Like Reply

It was cold and rainy here is Ohio.  It actually snowed for a little while on Saturday the 8th.  

By metmike - May 18, 2021, 12:20 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Jim!

This heat coming in is not going to hurt the crops.......in fact the cool temps this Spring have prevented some of the drier places from getting too concerned about drying out.........with the exception of ND which is BONE dry.

HOWEVER, as I thought earlier this month and the European model ENSEMBLES  hinted at, this upper ridge may dominate the Eastern Cornbelt and cause rains farther west to DRY UP(like they are now).

Then, when the heat picks up later this week, along without much reserve soil moisture, things could really start to get dry in the ECB.

By metmike - May 18, 2021, 12:51 p.m.
Like Reply

Biggest rains in the last year coming to ND is whats been pressuring MN wheat prices this week.

By metmike - May 19, 2021, 11:44 a.m.
Like Reply

Will start a new and long overdue weather titled post.

By Jim_M - May 19, 2021, 12:11 p.m.
Like Reply

We got some nice rains last week.  Made the grass grow nice, but rivers and ponds are still down.  The Tuscarawas River flooded for about a day in Canal Fulton, near me.  What usually will last a week or two only lasted a day. I'm not usually a yard guy, but I have fertilized it and have been cutting it high, just in case it does get hot and dry.  Try to keep my lawn alive.  

By metmike - May 19, 2021, 12:23 p.m.
Like Reply

Good decision Jim.

Whats interesting is that the next week will end up pretty dry for the ECB and temps will get up near 90...............but the heat ridge looks transient.

And its not in the same location of the 2012 heat ridges that were farther west and blocked moisture. This one is farther east and coaxes moisture to surge north from the Gulf.....and hit dry spots in the Plains/WCB.