Whatever happened to civility?
21 responses | 0 likes
Started by mojo - July 5, 2018, 8:13 a.m.

Comments
By mcfarm - July 5, 2018, 9:44 a.m.
Like Reply

do you really want all the thing listed here the lib did and said about W? And he never responded. Trump responds. End of story

By carlberky - July 5, 2018, 12:20 p.m.
Like Reply

It's all about the base ... the base ...

Like Reply

Gotta stop clicking a slow response to " submit ".

Like Reply

It's all about the base ... the base ...

By metmike - July 5, 2018, 2:28 p.m.
Like Reply

Carl,

This is really a profound and accurate depiction of a hypocritical reality.............from both sides actually.

Trump, as the president should be held to a higher standard but says all those things in the cartoon.........so the other side, feels they can attack him with impunity, using biased/one sided, hateful ammo and focus entirely on the negatives(even wanting our/their country to do badly so that it makes Trump look bad).

This includes the mostly liberal media, that also should be held to a higher standard.............but there is not entity that oversees accuracy or objectiveness or fairness in the media.

Freedom of the press allows them to publish and broadcast whatever generates the highest ratings........which bashing Trump does.

Bashing Trump is what half the people want to read and see. The other half respond strongly to this, which is almost as good because it also generates additional ratings. 

The cartoon is an accurate depiction of the crude/unacceptable manner in which Trump communicates but leaves out his accomplishments.

His accomplishments are not what sells newspapers or generates ratings because we are living in the "Soap Opera"  "Reality Show" presidency.

Which actually makes sense considering that's exactly what Trump did successfully for a living for a decade before being elected president.

Every other president in history was a career polititian as well as most of  the rest of our elected officials. So of course we expect them to act like politicians.......that say all the right things, using tact and respectful verbiage.....even when bullsheeting us. 

Trump is a reality show host and business man with no political experience but half the people and the media expect him to act like a well polished politician because that's  one of the requirements of the job. 

I sure wish he would act that way, so I'm not excusing or defending the completely unacceptable behavior and statements............just saying that he is just being the exact same way that he was before being elected....just like Obama and Bush and Clinton were and seems to be trying to do the things stated in the platform he used to get elected. 

However,  he has been a discrace to  the office of the  presidency judged by some standards of behavior and decency........and this cannot be overcome, no matter how much success that he has.

The reality in this world is that you can win people over who don't like you a little bit but might be able to tolerate you.............but when they are passionate about their hatred for you, they only look for reasons to hate you more and it feeds the hatred.

The media knows this. Millions of people looking for reasons to hate Trump more. 

Hating Hillary Clinton lost her the presidential election but people did not hate Trump enough at  the time, in 2016 for  it to cost him. 

They do now!

No way will he be elected again. 

By mcfarm - July 5, 2018, 4:04 p.m.
Like Reply

Don't be so sure about the election metmike. N umber 1 who will the dem runs that will win? Sure Trump is Trump and nobody expected him to win the first time. Win? Heck nobody expected him to run. Will he run next time, I don't know. I do know this, expecting him to lose is a lot like hating on his new supreme court nominee ....guess what? He has no new pick and yet they hate. So do not bet against Trump he has positives in months that the ones who came before him can only dream or in obamas case lie about...sorry Obama likes to rewrite history also

By carlberky - July 5, 2018, 6:27 p.m.
Like Reply

" ... in obamas case lie about...sorry Obama likes to rewrite history also "

Mc, could you be more specific ?

By metmike - July 5, 2018, 7:20 p.m.
Like Reply

"who will the dem runs that win?"

Anybody............and they will get half of the votes  JUST BECAUSE they are running against Trump. 

By mcfarm - July 5, 2018, 7:31 p.m.
Like Reply

they will get 25 to 30% just because of '"Trump" more than likely... the dems have even bigger problems today as new polls show that even young white males are leaving in droves

By Lacey - July 6, 2018, 9:03 a.m.
Like Reply

You are wrong metmike.  I didn't vote for Trump because I wanted a polished politician.  I voted for him because he wasn't a career politician and wasn't owned by anyone.  His support is growing not shrinking.  People are beginning to realize they have someone in their corner for the first time in four administrations.  Trump needs to dig in his heels on trade until the deficit improves 200 billion in our favor.  Even if that occurs it is still 150  billion to their advantage.He will definitely win a second term if he decides to run.

By Lacey - July 6, 2018, 9:18 a.m.
Like Reply

So who is Obama. A gay man who married a transexual and they adopted a couple kids.  He stakes a lot of political capital on recognizing transexuals and granting them healthcare.  He works a lifetime as a community organizer and does nothing to change the shi..hole that is Chicago.  If a woman is born with a set of breasts and a vagina and she doesn't know what she is.  This is the kind of backup I want in the armed forces.  No thanks. In my personal opinion, there are too many gays running this world. Period.

By carlberky - July 6, 2018, 11:08 a.m.
Like Reply

' So who is Obama. A gay man who married a transexual and they adopted a couple kids. "

Lacey, you can say anything you'd like about Obama ... and you will ... but do you have anything to backup

that Fake News? Oh, wait a minute   ... that's your attempt to make a joke ... Thanks for puting down the 

AK-47 long enough to post.

By mcfarm - July 6, 2018, 11:52 a.m.
Like Reply

actually he is all of the above plus he was elected twice. But he also lost the house, the senate, the supreme court, and over a 1000 local offices changed hands during is awesome leadership of the dem party...then we can go on to the hopeless, helpless job on our economy, then proceed to the total loss of security with his feckless world policys and then you could eventually get to the total complete amount of abuses such as pay for play, fat and furious

By silverspiker - July 6, 2018, 12:31 p.m.
Like Reply

RECORD 155,576,000 EMPLOYED 

This Is The Civility That Americans Are Looking For...

I Vehemently Disagree With You Mike... And I Will Explain Later

Why Trump Will Be The Demise Of  BOTH  Parties...

(* The Dude Just Get's It*)...

Alot of it has to do with him calling B.S.

On Things That Are Utter B.S.

By Lacey - July 6, 2018, 2:24 p.m.
Like Reply

Fake news? Stop watching CNN.  Every thing I said about Obama is true, you just don't want to believe it.  You probably agree with the official account of 911 as well. Don't want to believe the government capable of sacrificing 20 or 30  thousand people to advance an agenda.

By silverspiker - July 6, 2018, 3:49 p.m.
Like Reply

Image may contain: 1 person, suit and text

By silverspiker - July 6, 2018, 3:50 p.m.
Like Reply

Image may contain: 3 people, people standing and text

By metmike - July 6, 2018, 4:58 p.m.
Like Reply

I agree with most of his policies. His backing out of the Climate Accord was the smartest move by a president in my life time. 

But only his supporters will see his accomplishments. There are even more that only look for reasons to hate him and he gives them plenty with the way he communicates. 

The GDP could be 5% for the next 2 years but he wont be relected. 

One side says that the liberals have no substantive platform or charismatic person that can beat Trump. I agree. 

What will they run on?

They are already running on it.

Stop Trump at any cost. Block Trump from being successful, even if it hurts America. He manages to be successful, partly because he has support from his party in both houses and also because he is the president.........and can do MANY things because he is in charge(pull out of the Climate Accord-hire who he wants, etc).

But none of that will matter on election night 2020. It's a popularity contest and the Dems are spending almost all their time getting voters to hate Trump. 

You can see this in everyday life......on the tv stations, the newspapers, celebrities, internet, forums and so on. Why would you not appreciate that this same, very effective way to influence 10's of millions of people, right now , who REALLY hate Trump will also carry over on election night?

Because he won in 2016?

No way is this the same. He was able to pull the upset, because of several reasons that won't be there next time:

1. Hillary Clinton was hated and not trusted by a massive number of people, who voted "Never Clinton"  because they knew she was a corrupt liar. The dems can run anybody and they will not have the extreme negative that Clinton had.

2. Trump's base may not have changed but he needed more than his base. He needed alot of "Never Clinton" votes and others to do it. 

3. There will be MANY more, never Trump votes this time by a wide margin. 

4. Trump got elected partly because one side was furious by some of the stuff that Obama did(Iran deal, Climate Accord, etc). The president and party in office is an easy target and this time around, the presidential target has been vilified and attacked like no other. 

You have all witnessed some of the extreme, biased and hateful, intolerant of others type actions and statements recently from both sides. 

Everybody thinks that its the "other" side that's doing most of it.  I have read some of the most insane spinning of news to make it line up with belief systems in history.

The most insane part is how people's ability to use critical thinking has been so severely compromised that they automatically believe most of what lines up with their thinking and disbelieve most of the stuff that contradicts that.

Everything related to Trump epitomizes this dynamic. 

He stirred up one side and motivated them to go to the voting polls the first time(partly because the opposite party was in charge and we had some very unhappy people). 

However, with him in office, the other side is even more stirred up and unhappy. They WILL be expressing themselves at the voting polls in record numbers in 2020.

Don't overlook the loss of  Bill O'Reilly on Fox News. I would bet that he generated several million Trump votes by himself. Shawn Hannity appeals to the extreme right........which is always going to be for Trump. O'Reilly convinced ALOT of the undecided to vote Trump.

Did you see what they did to him?

By Lacey - July 6, 2018, 8:33 p.m.
Like Reply

I agree,the climate Accord pullout has been one of his best moves so far.  But by the end of his first term, people are going to realize that things are changing.  No nuclear war with North Korea and a total resolution, hopefully, of any further nuclearization of that peninsula. That is a big deal.  And our trade deficit has improved dramatically, because someone finally threw down the gauntlet. And more jobs have come back to America with fewer immigrants competing for those jobs.  I think one of the reasons Trump won was the comment at the debate, where Trump comment was if he was president " you Hillary would be in jail.". Many people agreed with that statement, that she should be in jail.  I think they weigh what he has accomplished and give him another 4 years to finish the job.

By carlberky - July 6, 2018, 11:34 p.m.
Like Reply

" Fake news? Stop watching CNN.  Every thing I said about Obama is true, you just don't want to believe it ".

Lacey, I won't believe it until you tell me the source of your accusations.  News ... real news, please. not opinion. 

By TimNew - July 7, 2018, 6:25 a.m.
Like Reply

Mike,  you  make a lot of valid points, and I agree for the most part.   I think the biggest single factor in Trump's victory was that he was running against Hillary. The dems could have run almost anyone else, and likely won, but the party foisted their anointed queen on the electorate through assorted corruption and slight of hand.

On top of that, there is a concerted effort to discredit this president from so many different sources.  It's like nothing I've seen in my life.  It doesn't help that he makes it so easy. He's a loud mouthed buffoon who plays fast and loose with the truth and it appears that no fight, no opponent is too small. He is truly his own worst enemy.

But walk down the street, ask people what the minority employment situation is.  Has it improved or gotten worse since the election? At least 50% would say worse.  And the same holds true for any number of positive economic indicators, which includes just about every one there is.   And of those  who claim things are worse, when you show them these positive indicators, many will call them "fake news", as if somehow, Trump has the BLS and ISM and the Fed, Etc, Etc,  in his pocket reporting the news as he sees fit. Had these #'s existed when Obama had been in office, we'd be hearing them every day, at least 5 times a day.

But,  of the people who are working now that weren't working when Trump took office, how many will vote for Trump? Of the people who are seeing wage growth after nearly a decade of little or none, how many will vote for Trump?  If the trend continues for the next 2 plus years, and there is no reason to think it won't,  how many millions of people will at least give some consideration to Trump based on improved earnings and lifestyle?

And here's a dynamic that will be something fairly new.   I think it's entirely possible that a large number of people will vote for Trump while denying that they ever would.  "Closet Trumpers" to coin a phrase. Could make for interesting polling data.  Kinda like all the polls that showed Hillary handily beating Trump.  Maybe we already had "Closet Trumpers".

Anyway,  politically speaking, 2020 is a long way off. The mid-terms will give us some indication of how it's going so far,  but they can't predict where we'll be in 2 years.  The Mueller investigation could actually provide damning information. I doubt that a bit more as each day passes,  but who knows?  The trade war could explode and erase the economic gains we've seen so far, or worse.  We'll see.  The trade deficit has narrowed,  but I attribute that more to the tax cut than anything Trump has done on the trade front so far.  Reduce the cost of doing business, and you do more business.  Again,  we'll see.

Perhaps most interesting of all,  in spite of the constant barrage of negative coverage from the majority of the news sources, Trump's job approval, while still negative, continues a steady, grudging climb. His economic approval is solidly positive, and as Hillary said, people don't vote Paula Jones, they vote the Dow Jones.