Would you consider an EV
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Jan. 23, 2021, 10:15 a.m.

Assuming you were in the market for a car

Let's just assume no matter if you are buying some thing or not

What would your thought process be??

Lower transportation cost

Environmental

Cost of electricity in 4 yrs

Other

Not interested in EV

Given every manufacturer is entering the EV market there must be some indication people will buy their EV production

I would like to know if you would consider a purchase assuming you can put yourself in that position no matter if you are buying or not

Just my personal poll of the EV market

Replies are needed for a poll to mean anything

Edit

The local Cami plant down the road 50 miles will convert to 100% production of EV

Comments
By bear - Jan. 23, 2021, 8:19 p.m.
Like Reply

imo,...

the EV is too expensive.  if i am patient, i can look around and find a 10 yr old small car (gas powered),  with very low miles, for about 5 grand or so.   i can drive it for 10 years, have a few minor repairs, and spend far less on gas and repairs, than the price of an EV.  

if i had massive amounts of money to spend, and wanted to buy a newer car, then maybe i'd buy a late model chevy volt.  

green energy is not as green as what some want to believe.  

By 7475 - Jan. 23, 2021, 9:17 p.m.
Like Reply

Im not ready for that yet and would prolly need to be "passively forced " into one rather than voluntarily doing so.

But it's coming for sure altho not as glorious as it sounds at the moment.

John

Wayne-Are there any EV tractor prototypes out there that you know of?

By wglassfo - Jan. 24, 2021, 12:50 a.m.
Like Reply

Not that I have heard of re: EV tractor prototypes

We are still at the stage of cleaning up the black smoke caused by our internal diesel combustion, using Def in the fuel supply, which is a nitrogen additive to cut emissions so you don't see black smoke out the diesel exhaust on farm or high way trucks. Some times working with Def can cause an engine to not run properly. We had a combine that would not start when temp got below freezing in the fall mornings. Eventually since the tech could not fix our problem they just gave us another machine to finish harvest. Another problem with Def is you can run on straight diesel for a short time but the computer has to be completely re-set by a tech to re-start and run on the proper fuel supply. Cost me a tad over 600.00 to learn that lesson. Needless to say we just signed the papers to buy a new combine, which we did not want to do, but a machine that won't start, on a cold  morning, is sort of useless. Hopefully the new combine works better, but many a farmer cusses Def in our diesel engine fuel supply

Some are working on driverless tractors but I think cost has a long way to go to have a ROI. Perhaps Brazil with huge acreage will be the 1st to try driverless tractors. Heck we are still trying to keep the black smoke from billowing up in the air, a bit, let alone high tech like EV

Driverless tractor prototypes have been around in the testing phase for some yrs, but nothing for sale that I know about.

The problem I think with EV heavy machinery of any kind is to have an energy source sufficient to supply the huge power demand over a period of time

A 500 H.P truck is common over the road. Our trucks have 500 H.P and seems sufficient but we operate on flat country, at no more than 65 MPH, not in the mountains. Even P.A can have some steep grades and P.A would slow us down considerably hauling corn with 600 H.P semi truck, which is the biggest semi for over the road, commercial use. Off road heavy trucks hauling logs etc in the mountains might have bigger engines.

From what I understand small parcel delivery vans,  cars etc will be the 1st EV sold then move toward more powerful energy needs