Happy MLK Day...........belated
14 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Jan. 20, 2021, 6:13 p.m.

I was tied up and having some computer issues earlier in the week.

I admire MLK more than any other human being and wouldn't want to miss mentioned this special day that honors him.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_Luther_King_Jr._Day

Martin Luther King Jr. Day (officially Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr.,[1] and sometimes referred to as MLK Day) is a federal holiday in the United States marking the birthday of Martin Luther King Jr. It is observed on the third Monday of January each year. King's birthday is January 15. The holiday is similar to holidays set under the Uniform Monday Holiday Act. The earliest Monday for this holiday is January 15 and the latest is January 21.

King was the chief spokesperson for nonviolent activism in the Civil Rights Movement, which successfully protested racial discrimination in federal and state law. The campaign for a federal holiday in King's honor began soon after his assassination in 1968. President Ronald Reagan signed the holiday into law in 1983, and it was first observed three years later. At first, some states resisted observing the holiday as such, giving it alternative names or combining it with other holidays. It was officially observed in all 50 states for the first time in 2000.

Comments
By metmike - Jan. 20, 2021, 6:14 p.m.
Like Reply

123 Of The Most Powerful Martin Luther King Jr. Quotes Ever

https://www.keepinspiring.me/martin-luther-king-jr-quotes/

MLK Jr Quote "We may have all come on different ships, but we're in the same boat now”

By metmike - Jan. 20, 2021, 6:16 p.m.
Like Reply

This day in history March 21, 2020-MLK March#3            

8 responses |          

Started by metmike - March 21, 2020, 6:57 p.m.          

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/49272/

By metmike - Jan. 20, 2021, 6:22 p.m.
Like Reply

CNN did a nice piece last March celebrating one of his best known peaceful marches:

1965 Selma to Montgomery March Fast Facts

https://www.cnn.com/2013/09/15/us/1965-selma-to-montgomery-march-fast-facts/index.html

This day in history March 25, 2020-MLK/Selma March            

8 responses |          

Started by metmike - March 25, 2020, 12:55 a.m.            

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/49475/

We can put this quote into context by listening to this incredible speech by MLK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOWDtDUKz-U&feature=youtu.be

Or read it here:

https://www.crmvet.org/docs/otheram.htm

Here are some quotes from that speech(which he made during the time frame that we had our 67 riots in Detroit):

"So as a result of all of this, we see many problems existing today that are growing more difficult. It's something that is often overlooked, but ...

By metmike - Jan. 20, 2021, 6:22 p.m.
Like Reply

“In spite of temporary victories, violence never brings permanent peace.”

MLK

By metmike - Jan. 20, 2021, 6:24 p.m.
Like Reply

Alveda King: As riots spread across US, heed words of my Uncle Martin Luther King to end violence and racism

Dr. Alveda King

By        Dr. Alveda King | Fox News

"People are human beings with so much more uniting us than dividing us. People have human personalities. As Martin Luther King once said: “When we value the human personality we won't kill anybody.” He also said: “Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere. I have decided to stick with love; hate is too great a burden to bear.”

In the midst of the Minneapolis crisis, President Trump has said anarchists must not be allowed to drown out the voices of peaceful protesters. Now is a time for a peaceful protest prayer and repentance.

I am saddened yet undaunted that a quote from my Uncle Martin is being taken out of context. The prophet said that "violence is the language of the unheard.” Some people are calling this an endorsement of violence, but nothing could be further from the truth. MLK spoke those words in defense of non-violence; he refused to promote violence as a solution to the ills of society."

By metmike - Jan. 20, 2021, 6:26 p.m.
Like Reply

Nothing good ever comes of violence. - Martin Luther

Change background

Change background

Change background

Change background

Change background

Nothing good ever comes of violence.

Martin Luther

By metmike - Jan. 20, 2021, 6:28 p.m.
Like Reply

“Every man of humane convictions must decide on the protest that best suits his convictions, but we must all protest peacefully.”

Martin Luther King, Jr. waves to supporters from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial 28 August 1963 on the Mall in Washington DC (AFP/Getty Images)
Martin Luther King, Jr. waves to supporters from the steps of the Lincoln Memorial 28 August 1963 on the Mall in Washington DC 

1. “In spite of temporary victories, violence never brings permanent peace.”
  2. “We adopt the means of nonviolence because our end is a community at peace with itself. We will try to persuade with our words, but if our words fail, we will try to persuade with our acts.”
By metmike - Jan. 20, 2021, 6:29 p.m.
Like Reply

Aug. 4, 2020, 1:25 a.m.
metmike

By metmike - Jan. 20, 2021, 6:32 p.m.
Like Reply
By metmike - Jan. 20, 2021, 7:09 p.m.
Like Reply
By TimNew - Jan. 21, 2021, 2:14 a.m.
Like Reply

I wonder what MLK would think of BLM?

By metmike - Jan. 21, 2021, 12:16 p.m.
Like Reply

I am not qualified to accurately speculate on what such a great man would be thinking right now but my guess is that he would be appalled and be speaking out AGAINST this group.

1. Hundreds of violent COUNTERPRODUCTIVE riots, of which he was strongly against. This has given the movement a black eye.

2. Constant display of hatred, vindictiveness and counterproductive confrontations...... instead of love and forgiveness, while pushing for change by getting your enemies on board with you.............not doing things to make them hate you..

3. All they care about are white cops killing blacks, a tiny fraction of the problem. It IS a legit problem and SHOULD be addressed aggressively but the vast majority of blacks are being killed for other reasons, mostly by other blacks.

4. He was all about education and jobs for blacks. Treating them fairly and equally everywhere in every realm............not just when they get arrested for crimes...............and he would be AGAINST crime, including the violent type that young black men commit at a rate 6 times higher than whites that result in a 6 times higher confrontation rate with cops...........and results in cops profiling because they are street smart human beings, not programmed robots.

5. He would absolutely be for accountability of the cops................and we MUST have this. Body cams are a must and when they violate the rights of anybody, especially blacks, there MUST be justice. 

By TimNew - Jan. 21, 2021, 12:26 p.m.
Like Reply

Body cams are a must and when they violate the rights of anybody, especially blacks, there MUST be justice. 

I was pretty much with you up to this point.    Why especially blacks?  They are no better, no worse, no more and no less entitled to fair treatment and inalienable rights than anyone else of any race, creed or color.

Equal protection under the law is one of our founding principles.  When we get away from that is when we get in trouble.

By metmike - Jan. 21, 2021, 12:43 p.m.
Like Reply

Sorry if I was not clear on that. 

Especially blacks  did not mean blacks should have MORE rights, but knowing the history and the legit issue, we should bend over backwards to make sure that blacks/minorities get their rights in situations that you know were denied them in systemic fashion in the past because of race..............and is still happening today in some places.