We seem to have a food problem
10 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - April 6, 2020, 6:32 p.m.

Many food banks are reporting dangerously low food supplies

This when unemployment jumped the most since the depression

Congress made a big deal out of the stimulas bill and all the parts within

What seems to be over looked is the need for food at food banks

When people are turned away for lack of food, this is serious and obviously the stimulas bill did not reach those who need food now

So why isn't the Federal gov't stepping up and providing funds to buy the needed food

Theree must be food in the system some where

What is lacking is the money to buy the food

All of this while traditional sources of food supplies are smaller by the day

We can't let people go hungry

This is not in some 3rd world country we often shrug and do nothing

This is in the USA and coming to Canada very soon

So what happens when your family is hungry??

Seveeral food markets have been looted already

This will turn into law less actions by normal people who will turn into criminals to feed their family

And if they need the food I don't blame them one bit

We need federal aid now, not a week or more when the situation starts to hit the headlines

So why is nothing being done, today???

This is immoral and a crime against humanity, especially when a solution  is available

What would you do if your grand children were crying because of hunger and you had no way to help

Would you go out into the night in an effort to find food???, money?? what ever???

If you had a gun, would you take it with you???

Comments
By GunterK - April 6, 2020, 7:04 p.m.
Like Reply

Congress made sure the stimulus bill included some "pork", such as 35 mill for the JFK Center of Performing Arts

This is quite thoughtful.... what they obviously wanted to do was to tell the People "when you are hungry and have nothing to eat, go to the JJK Center and enjoy some good music"

Thank you, Ms Pelosi

By metmike - April 6, 2020, 7:44 p.m.
Like Reply

"So why isn't the Federal gov't stepping up and providing funds to buy the needed food"

Wayne,

A big chunk of the 2,000,000,000,000 is intended for that.  Everybody with income less than 150,000 gets 1,200 and everybody that gets laid off, gets an extra $600/week on top of that for many months.

People can spend that money on whatever they want. If they want to buy a new stereo with it...........that's their option.

If they don't have enough food, why would they not use the money to buy food?

The program is so generous, that some people will actually be making more money by being unemployed all Spring/Summer than they did working. 

By TimNew - April 7, 2020, 4:13 a.m.
Like Reply

We've made sure the food bank at our church is full.  I think that's a better plan than relying on the government.

By wglassfo - April 7, 2020, 10:55 a.m.
Like Reply

Anybody who says this is not a problem is preaching from an ivory tower 

Obviously, as I said, something went wrong or they would not go to a food bank

All we need to do is stock the food banks and a problem is solved

Do you really think Mrs. high society member of the upper class wants to be seen in a line up at the food bank???. Well: it is happening.

I don't like the Granny state any more than most on here, but when people go to a food bank, there is usually a good reason why they are in the line up

It seems more should do what happens in Tim's situation but unfortunately that isn't happening every where.

In Tim's situation it does prove there is a need for food banks

By TimNew - April 7, 2020, 11:32 a.m.
Like Reply

It goes without saying that more people will need help, at least in the short term,  

But the real problem, IMO, is that so many count on the government to address the need instead of handling it on a local scale.   We're faster and better and much cheaper.  I belong to a small church.  Many of us add to our shopping list each week and deliver to the pantry at the church.  Doesn't cost any of us very much and our small church feeds several families in the area.   

By metmike - April 7, 2020, 1:48 p.m.
Like Reply

OK Wayne, I see your point more clearly now.

I thought you were talking about NEW people that were in need but we are talking about old, unemployed/homeless people.

They should qualify for 1,200 but since some may not have filed a 2018/19 tax return, they would need to do that, even if they had no income or did not need to file.  They just fill out a couple of forms and they get 1,200.

Put that aside, I see how local food banks are losing volunteers and donations.

I volunteered at the local Rescue Mission for numerous years and much of the food they got was from the local food bank and of course, all of it was donated..........from church's like Tim's and other generous organizations.

Also from grocery stores and local businesses that sell food. 

I see that part of the problem is getting volunteers( like me). Everybody is trying to stay home and many volunteers are older and being a volunteer for most people is an elective option. 

Thanks for bringing this up Wayne. It's a really good topic with a discussion that should continue!

Food banks are seeing volunteers disappear and supplies evaporate as coronavirus fears mount

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/03/16/food-banks-are-seeing-volunteers-disappear-food-supply-evaporate-coronavirus-fears-mount/

Food banks struggle as demand explodes thanks to coronavirus layoffs

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/31/politics/food-banks-supplies-groceries-coronavirus/index.html

By metmike - April 7, 2020, 1:56 p.m.
Like Reply

This is our Evansville Rescue Mission:

https://www.evansvillerescuemission.org/

Loving The Lost

Offering A Hand Up To Our Tri-State's
Homeless, Hungry, & Impoverished

Residence Center

Provides 259,000 meals each year, & 56,000 nights of safe shelter

By metmike - April 7, 2020, 2:03 p.m.
Like Reply

https://www.evansvillerescuemission.org/what-we-do/residence-center/#needs

Our emergency services begin with a hot, nourishing meal served by faithful community volunteers. Each and every day (including holidays), not only our homeless guests, but the general public have the opportunity to visit the Residence Center for a meal. Meal times are offered as follows:

• Breakfast—6:30 to 7:00 a.m. Monday through Friday
  • Breakfast—7:30 to 8:00 a.m. Saturday and Sunday
  • Lunch—12:00 to 12:30 p.m. Monday through Saturday
  • Lunch—12:30 to 1 p.m. Sunday
  • Dinner—5:30-6:00 p.m.

Considering our staff and volunteers do not take a day off in offering meals to the community, your Evansville Rescue Mission heavily relies on the generosity of various food distributors, grocery stores, restaurants and individuals to ensure we have enough food in our pantry.

Having enough food is important, but without the faithfulness and friendliness of our strong volunteer base, our meal services could not function. For volunteer information on serving a meal at the Residence Center, please click here.

By metmike - April 7, 2020, 2:13 p.m.
Like Reply

Local Food Bank:

http://www.tristatefoodbank.org/

Picture

A Message from Our Executive Director:

The recent crisis surrounding the spread of COVID-19 is affecting our most vulnerable neighbors. Across the food bank network the demands for food relief are increasing. Closed businesses result in employees being put on unpaid leave causing additional hardship for food insecure families. Measures intending to reduce transmission such as quarantines and asking vulnerable populations to stay home are forcing seniors and immunocompromised people to rely on expensive and limited grocery delivery services. Children whose schools have closed do not have access to school meals.

In the midst of this crisis, food banks across the country are providing vital relief. Tri-State Food Bank is committed to serving the ill and the needy, and we will remain open and continue to supply food where it’s needed most and help those in crisis. Our staff and volunteers will continue to practice good hygiene and frequent hand washing to lower the risk of spreading the virus. A food bank’s main goal is to be a resource for feeding programs – pantries, soup kitchens, senior meal boxes, backpack programs, etc. – and have a supply of food available to help the needy.

Thank you for your support in these challenging times.

Glenn Roberts
Tri-State Food Bank Executive Director

metmike: I coached Glenn's daughter doing chess over a decade ago, when he was the director of the Evansville Philharmonic and by all accounts doing a wonderful job. 

https://www.linkedin.com/in/glenn-roberts-9739387

By metmike - April 7, 2020, 2:15 p.m.
Like Reply

Before this crisis, Glen and the Tri State Food Bank were doing a terrific job:

Tri-State Food Bank experiencing food surplus

https://www.14news.com/2019/08/23/tri-state-food-bank-experiencing-food-surplus/