Trade off for reduced fossil fuel useage
0 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Sept. 20, 2019, 9:48 a.m.

I think we all agree that electic power has significant limits to be a reality. As does any and all other energy sources that would replace fossil fuel

But some time in the future enough people will demand less fossil fuel useage. Unless people do a complete 180 on fossil fuel useaage, some fossil fuel useage will be restrcted. How much and when we don't know but you can bet it will happen, to some degree

So MM in a recent post, informed us of the huge quantities of NG used to produce nitrogen fert. There are ways by using crop rotation and livestock to supplement the nitrogen but the yield from these sources would vary according to soil type, [I would think]

So I got to thinking. We are facing a surplus grain production situation, nearly every yr even before lossing the china market

On our soils we would have diffficulty producing about 1/2 of normal yield. I actully did grow some corn with out nitrogen and due to mis managemeent and harvested 1/2 of possible yield 

So if the corn belt did a rotation and had no nitrogen we might produce about 1/2 of a crop. Now we need to protect our food supply if only 1/2 of a crop is produced, or else nobody can afford to harvest 1/2 of a crop at current prices.  We would have to erect barriers to imports, so we aren't flooded with foreign food and wipe out our domestic food supply. That supply should be enough for the domestic market. Especially since cows seem to be , also seen as not good for the environment, so that takes care of a lot of domestic needs  I suppose you will eat, what is called meat, grown on a petri dish, but the greenies seem to like it that way.

So I could live with 1/2 of a crop if the price was adjusted to local supply and demand

What is needed is a strong policy to keep out SA production. If the writing is on the wall about fossil fuel, then maybbe we need to adjust our fam policy to reflect what will probably happen

I know food prics would increase but if the greenies insist on no fossil fuel then they need to address the problems assiciated with their demands on society

I see Germany has a green plan which is very ambitious but also relies on tax payer money to make it work

So: If change is coming my 1st bet is increased taxes but after a while tax money is not enough

So: Who will have the answer or do we just pay lip service to fossil fuel and pay huge tax bills

I don't think any solution is possible, but maybe we need to address , what the greenies want.

I know this might benefit the farmer some what or would it just put Ag into a low ROI as always.,No farmer can compete with other countries if we are forced to produce a crop, with restrictions on amount of fossil fuel, fert etc used and then sell on world prices.

Heck even if Trump is elected we are in for a long time of low prices. I doubt we ever recover from the lost markets

That is when the bank decides who farms and who is forced out of the farming business

Just food for thought, as to the ramifications, if fossil fuel useage is restricted

Who know, maybe I will raise horses, to sell to  all the farmers who decide to be self sufficient and the grocery store is full of food from foreign suppliers.

Comments
No replies yet. Be the first!