what a conservative could never get away with
7 responses | 0 likes
Started by mcfarm - Sept. 18, 2019, 8:09 p.m.

https://www.thepostmillennial.com/breaking-trudeau-wore-racist-brownface-at-2001-arabian-nights-party/   well actually one of about a million things right now but this one is a biggy at the moment and every conservative from here to Russia would have to resign tonite, not even tomorrow, tonite. We ain't waiting to even see if its true, just resign because we just now every real lib would never ever do this.

Comments
By mcfarm - Sept. 19, 2019, 5:47 p.m.
Like Reply

so now its plain Trudeau never did this once, or twice but atleast 3 times....that we  know of, more likely to come. Problem is why do libs always get away with this crap.....ohh I remember, because libs can and they have millions of hypocrites standing right there behind them.

By metmike - Sept. 19, 2019, 7:51 p.m.
Like Reply

mcfarm,

I realize that you are just passing this along but I really don't get this at all.......other than people super scrutinizing the entire lives of other  people that  they don't like and trying to find something they did from decades ago to attack them with.

In this case, it was an Arabian Nights costume party and he was dressed up as an Arabian Night. Apparently he did the same thing in the early 90's, wearing black face when he was portraying a Jamaican in a play......so he liked to wear black face. 

Does this make him a racist in 2019?

There are several elements at play here for me.

1. If I know that something is offensive to other people, then I will intentionally NOT do it. However, I can't know that something is going to be offensive to people in 20 years.  We can pretend today, that they should have known back then but thats being disingenuous and pretending to know what was in this guys heart back then. Then, after making this assumption, we are going to hold him accountable decades later.....for dressing up as a dark person to represent them as the character that he was trying to portray.

2. This picture of him in black face is him  portraying  an Arabian Night, a very powerful person with high standing and a positive image in this culture, at a costume party. Black face is repugnant to many because in the distant past, it portrayed blacks as poor, downtrodden, uneducated negroes(verbiage of the time) and made fun of them. He was clearly NOT doing this.

Dressed as a Jamaican, at his high school play,  I'm guessing he wasn't portraying that image either.   I don't know a thing about this guy but will give him the clear benefit of the doubt here.

3. How far do we do back into a persons past to find something to attack them with today? I did some pretty bad stuff growing up in the Detroit area, getting suspended from school a couple of times. Kicked out of my dorm.  The drinking age was 18 back then and I got 2 DUI's before I was 21. I had countless bar fights and did tons of crazy,  completely unacceptable things that would shock you..........but many decades ago, realized that I was an alcoholic and devoted my life to my family and making the world a better place instead of acting selfishly. If I ran for any sort of office, if somebody was able to get evidence of my behavior 40+ years ago, they could destroy my reputation even though the last 35+ years of my life have featured honorable behavior that anybody would be proud of.

Would this be fair?

4. Regarding our increasingly overly sensitive and lack of tolerance of faults/judging of others that we don't like. This is becoming a serious, growing problem in society. We decide that we and our personal belief system(especially in politics) is infallible and view the world with tunnel vision. People that disagree with us are always 100% wrong and we shut them down and look for reasons for them to be wrong and be bad people, like we are at a football game or at a competition where the objective is to crush them, not come together. We even hate them because they have different views. The gatekeepers of information via the MSM or other sources  are greatly responsible. We get the political news in a form that intentionally creates animosity towards those that the authors want you to dislike.  They twist the interpretation of the news so that it's blatantly one sided and very unfair. Unethical and acting as extreme political activists with self serving motives driving them. 

Bernie Sanders was criticized earlier today for his position of decades ago because it contradicts his position today. I say, give the man the benefit of the doubt for his change of heart and judge him on his positions and statements today and for who  is today.

In doing this personally and sincerely............. looking at Sanders positions and statements today and judging him completely on the relevance here in 2019,  none of what he said or thought 30+ years ago matters an iota. And it shouldn't. 

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/39318/

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/37437/

By 7475 - Sept. 19, 2019, 9:06 p.m.
Like Reply

I was about to reply when I saw mm's post.

I say it was twenty years ago and a damn good job on the costume.

If you are going to dress up as an arabian for a party then crissakes do it right and dress up as an arabian.

I doubt there was any malice there-just a good job on the costume-SHEEEEESH!!

By metmike - Sept. 20, 2019, 1:26 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks John!

By TimNew - Sept. 20, 2019, 3:07 a.m.
Like Reply

I don't think McFarm is criticizing Trudeau, and I don't have a problem with Trudeau appearing in blackface. I don't see blackface as an issue today. But conservative careers have been ruined for the same behavior, even if it was decades old.

It's just another example of the weapon that  political correctness has become, and as always, it's selectively enforced. We live in a time of selective hyper-sensitivity where new "crimes" are invented every day and then retroactively enforced. 

By metmike - Sept. 20, 2019, 7:14 a.m.
Like Reply

I agree Tim that both sides are doing it but by an extraordinarily wide margin, one side displays the most hypocracy. 

On sanders, I feel like I have given him a fair and objective review and in case people don’t have the time to read all of it, he gets a 1 out of 10 if I had a ratings system that expressed authenticity. 

Before I looked closer at him, I actually liked the guy.

By mcfarm - Sept. 20, 2019, 8:45 a.m.
Like Reply

MM, just to be clear I could care less what or when Trudeau did whatever he did...I do care deeply about hypocrisy however