Should Pete Rose be in the Hall of Fame
13 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - July 13, 2019, 5:51 p.m.

My opinion is absolutely yes!

Pete Rose

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pete_Rose

Do you think that betting on sports, now being legal will increase his chances in the future?

https://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/26740441/one-year-legal-us-sports-betting-learned

He definitely bet on baseball and his own team and lied about it(but apparently never bet against his team) and I can't defend this other than to say, lying is not a reason to deny somebody a place in the hall of fame.

He had an addiction(which is also no excuse) but betting on professional sports is now legal.  Would you expect somebody that knew major league baseball better than anybody, to avoid betting on THE sport that he lived and breathed every day?

For me at least, in the absence of evidence that he actually did something that caused his team to lose, I think his performance earned him a spot in the Hall of Fame.

What do you think?

Comments
By metmike - July 13, 2019, 6:01 p.m.
Like Reply
By metmike - July 13, 2019, 6:02 p.m.
Like Reply
By carlberky - July 13, 2019, 7:16 p.m.
Like Reply

Yeah, he lied and he used a bookie to bet on his team. So did I. 

Avery Brundage is spinning in his grave at the thought of professional athletes in the Olympics.

Back then, pro athletes were held to a higher public moral standard, while today they can act like gangstas as long as they produce. 

Pete Rose was not a super athlete, but he was the guy you wanted up there in the clutch. 

I say give him his due. He earned it and he belongs in the Hall.

By mcfarm - July 13, 2019, 8:26 p.m.
Like Reply

yes Hall of Fame first ballot type of ball player. If we kept all the cheaters  and liars out there would only a few left who get in

By joj - July 15, 2019, 4:31 p.m.
Like Reply

That’s my beloved sport of baseball you are talking about.  

The giant sign in every clubhouse doesn’t say no betting against your team..  It says no betting on games.

And of course he hurt his team.  Baseball is a 162 game season.  If he has a large wager on a game he is likely to make managerial moves based on that, rather than what is in the best interest of his team for the long season.

Having said that, I suppose if we elected a criminal in the White House then Pete ought to get a pass for his lesser infractions.  It’s who we are.

By mcfarm - July 15, 2019, 6:07 p.m.
Like Reply

yes, Pete Rose can be at times a complete dick. But IMHO comparing him to a criminal is not fair. He has suffered years of embarrassment for his actions. Time to let it go and put him in the hall

By joj - July 16, 2019, 6:25 a.m.
Like Reply

Yes - He has suffered enough.  Let 'em in. 

By TimNew - July 16, 2019, 12:01 p.m.
Like Reply

We can certainly forgive Pete,  but we can't reward him.

By mcfarm - July 16, 2019, 2:21 p.m.
Like Reply

ouch

By 12345 - July 18, 2019, 10:41 p.m.
Like Reply

A resounding...................NO!

By carlberky - July 19, 2019, 7:50 a.m.
Like Reply

We can certainly forgive Pete,  but we can't reward him.

Tim, I was very tempted to make a political post about Trump,  but this is about Pete Rose.

The purpose of the Hall is to honor the best players in the game, even if they were not role models for our kids.

Pete Rose earned his place, as much as Ty Cobb did.

By TimNew - July 19, 2019, 7:58 a.m.
Like Reply

I can't completely disagree Carl,  but the betting thing is/was a cardinal rule of the sport, and with good reason.  Part of being a great player, IMO, is following the rules. And this is a big one.

By carlberky - July 19, 2019, 8:38 a.m.
Like Reply

The purpose of the Hall is to honor the best players in the game, even if they were not role models for our kids.

Not true, Carl. Further research shows that The voters have to contend with "the character clause".

5. Voting: Voting shall be based upon the player's record, playing ability, integrity, sportsmanship, character, and contributions to the team(s) on which the player played.

"Ever since the likes of Barry Bonds, Mark McGwire, Sammy Sosa, Rafael Palmeiro, and other “steroid era” greats have appeared on Hall of Fame ballots, voters have cited the “character clause” as justification for not voting for them. It has seemed that, over the last decade or so, performance enhancing drug use is the only issue for which the “character clause” is invoked."

So it appears that  Pete is out of luck … until they modify clause 5.