Retail Sales post biggest gain in 1.5 years
5 responses | 0 likes
Started by TimNew - April 18, 2019, 9:22 a.m.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/retail-sales-post-biggest-gain-in-1-12-years-point-to-rebounding-economy-2019-04-18?siteid=bigcharts&dist=bigcharts

"Sales at U.S. retailers surged in March by the most in a year and a half, the latest in a string of reports suggesting the economy is firming up after a soft spell of growth earlier in the year. 

Retail sales soared 1.6% last month, the government said Thursday. Economists polled by MarketWatch expected sales to climb 1.1%"

Comments
By mcfarm - April 18, 2019, 11:03 a.m.
Like Reply

lib response...."this can't be good"

By metmike - April 18, 2019, 1:49 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Tim, the economy continues to exceed expectations.

By TimNew - April 18, 2019, 2:25 p.m.
Like Reply

I'm seeing little signs that throw some question marks into the picture.

For instance, today, inventories continue to build, outpacing sales, increasing stock/sales ratio.  Not always bad news.Might be business optimism..  Hiring would suggest maybe it is.   But stillone of a few "warning" signs.

But yes,overall,the economy appears to be doing quite well.

By metmike - April 18, 2019, 3:10 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks,

Exceeding expectations for the downturn that many have been calling for I guess would be a better description.

Maybe that will happen?

I really don't know where we might be headed. I just stick to trading commodities that are affected by the weather. 

By TimNew - April 18, 2019, 3:19 p.m.
Like Reply

There will be a downturn.It's part ofcapitalism.. I just don't see any signs of one near term.