Food for Thought
4 responses | 0 likes
Started by joj - April 16, 2019, 6:11 a.m.

Much, but not all, of what Brooks says I agree with.  I also like some of the thoughts in the comments section.  As we get up in years, we reflect on life and our place in it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/15/opinion/cultural-revolution-meritocracy.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage#commentsContainer

Comments
By carlberky - April 16, 2019, 8:54 a.m.
Like Reply

I found the comment section to also be a worthwhile read. Not your usual "Your another one !" garbage.

" ... we have redefined success as being rich. The love of self that gives us the serenity and confidence to reach out to others has been replaced by self doubt created by those who continually ask us why we aren't rich if we're so smart."

"Brands have started to take on a mystical character previously reserved for God, in whom we trusted. To wear the brands as badges is a very different thing from trusting them as hallmarks of quality."

"Our culture gives credit to "success" and counts "failure" as irreparable.  In fact, we only understand our successes by our failures.  Failure is not the end of our existence; it is a beginning, but only if we learn from it and change course accordingly."

"If you are told the work you do is not valued and that doing what you do well is not as important as who you know or how much you earn, you can't help but become resentful of others."

"There is a telling point in almost everyone's life in which he or she realizes that prized friends of youth are either pulling slowly and irrevocably ahead or falling slowly and irrevocably behind, and the slow insidious wasting of these relationships is probably one of life's most painful experiences."

By metmike - April 16, 2019, 4:32 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks much!

Unfortunately, I used up all my free articles from the NYT awhile ago and can't read it.

Maybe you can copy more stuff here?

I have a brother that's read the NYT paper every day for over 30 years!

By WxFollower - April 16, 2019, 4:46 p.m.
Like Reply

1. Mike, if it is like NGI, clearing your browser's cache or using another browser may get you the freebies back.

2. I think the US could use more moderate politicians with views like those of Brooks. There used to be many more moderates in Congress. There's way too much all or nothing these days and it is tearing us apart as a country. What's wrong with compromise for the greater good of more folks as a whole? Do you folks want the US to remain intact or would you prefer to break up?

By carlberky - April 16, 2019, 4:53 p.m.
Like Reply

"Unfortunately, I used up all my free articles from the NYT awhile ago and can't read it."

I'm in the same boat, Mike. That's why all my quotes were from the comment section.