"We have reached the breaking point"
17 responses | 0 likes
Started by GunterK - March 28, 2019, 6:52 p.m.

with over 4000 migrants either apprehended or encountered in one day

https://www.newswars.com/border-patrol-mondays-record-migrant-surge-surpassed-on-tuesday/

Comments
By joj - March 28, 2019, 7:07 p.m.
Like Reply

The sky is falling!!!

By GunterK - March 28, 2019, 9:17 p.m.
Like Reply

Many consider the security of our border a more important issue than worrying whether Trump had a beer with a Russian business partner or not. 

Especially when you live not far from our Southern border, you sure hope that our forces along the border are strong enough to prevent an invasion... and obviously, they are not.  

Yes....'invasion".... that's what your really have to call 1 million illegal border crossings per year, with only half of them being intercepted... intercepted and then being released into the US anyway.... not knowing who they are, or where they are coming from. (not all of them are Latinos)

Trump may not be everybody's beloved leader, but he certainly knows the importance of a country (any country) having enforced borders.

By silverspiker - March 28, 2019, 10:20 p.m.
Like Reply

.... if anybody saw his 1 Hour 51 Minute speech this evening....

===  VICTORY ROLL IS SOON .... YUGE ..... TRUTH !

air force roll GIF by US National Archives

By metmike - March 29, 2019, 1:21 p.m.
Like Reply

Trump threatens to close the U.S.-Mexico border next week                        

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/03/29/trump-close-us-mexico-border-1243493

President Donald Trump on Friday threatened to close the U.S-Mexico border next week if Mexico does not stop undocumented immigrants from coming into the United States.

"If Mexico doesn’t immediately stop ALL illegal immigration coming into the United States throug [sic] our Southern Border, I will be CLOSING...the Border, or large sections of the Border, next week," the president wrote in a series of tweets.

Trump has repeatedly railed against Mexico for not stopping Central American migrants from coming to the United States' southern border and has threatened multiple times to close the border due to caravans over the past year with migrants from El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras. 

The president had yet to put a timeline on his proposed threat until now, but it's still unclear what a border closure would entail or if it's even possible. 

Kevin McAleenan, the commissioner of U.S. Customs and Border Protection, on Wednesday claimed the situation at the southern border is at “the breaking point” and his agency is “reluctantly” releasing migrants because of overcrowding at detention facilities.

Trump in February announced a national emergency to allocate funds to build his wall along the border. Congress passed legislation to block the emergency declaration, but the president vetoed it, and the House was unable to override Trump's veto.

metmike: Congress's reaction to the real world emergency/crisis has been to try to block the president from doing anything about it........then  threaten to declare their own emergency for the best weather and climate in the last 1,000 years because of the climate model/manufactured/simulated crisis. 

By GunterK - March 29, 2019, 3:04 p.m.
Like Reply

Trump threatens to close the U.S.-Mexico border next week                

that's after the US sent 10 Billion Dollars to Mexico and friends

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2018-12-18/us-sends-10-billion-mexico-central-america-improve-security-conditions-and-job

could have built that wall for that money.

By wglassfo - March 29, 2019, 5:37 p.m.
Like Reply

I can tell you if you want cheap labour, then you  have a lot of that commodity

However, coming across the border into your country the good old US of A looks a lot different than our country

You have line ups at the cashier, that go on forever

My back is so sore standing in line waiting to shove money at a cashier. Or somebody takes ages with their credit card or what ever plastic they use, just to get it in and out of it's proper slot 

If we have three people waiting in line, a phone call is made within the store and another line opens up

Your houses are all side by side, no green space

You don't see it, because that is what you are used to seeing. People every where. And some of the junk is piled up on the front lawn or what should be a front lawn.

China is the only country I have seen with a more dense population in favourable living climate and working places

The only way they can move is by shoving there way thru the people on the street

You aren't there as of yet,  but the day will come, if you don't do something

You don't have the space where people want to iive and work for a million people/yr.

I can't tell you enough how much your country is so crowded, and I know you don't believe me

That is because you have grown used to people everywhere

Your country will not be anything like America, as illegal immigrants do not assimilate into your culture, as they did in yrs past

How many mosques do you have in N.Y. city alone??

We have none that I know of within a 100 miles or more

In other countries around the world culture is very important

You speak one language and live like everybody else

In the USA you don't have a culture any more

You have as much or more spainish spoken along the southern border as any other language

English is the universal language of the world. But not in the USA

Trump may have his faults but he does know what country and borders should mean

You need to give him every bit of support you can regardless of your politics

Please do not put politics above country

If you don't then you will find yourself with an entirely different kind of politics that you will not like

It's your country

I am not telling you what to do, that is not my intent

I am just telling you what the rest of the world does that you folks are not doing

And hopefully take a real hard look at your country and what it might look like a few yrs in the future

We have our problems also, but golly not as bad as you do with illegal immigration to no end

As I said in the beginning

We do have a problem sourcing cheap labour.

On our farm we had to let the help go and replace with capital and bigger more efficient machinery

Only the sweeet corn has stayed the same siaze as the market can only take so much/day

Even the sweet corn, packed for the super market shelf, is going to be 250 acres more this yr.

By cliff-e - March 29, 2019, 5:47 p.m.
Like Reply

Retaliation can take many forms...Did we see another dose of harsh reality today?

http://money.cnn.com/2017/02/13/news/economy/mexico-trump-us-corn/index.html

Reagan once referred to Carter's Russian grain embargo as "Hitting America in the Bread basket"...

Hard lessons that are forgotten time and time again.

By metmike - March 29, 2019, 7:12 p.m.
Like Reply

"Retaliation can take many forms...Did we see another dose of harsh reality today?"

"Mexico ready to retaliate by hurting American corn farmers"

by Patrick Gillespie   @CNNMoney   February 13, 2017: 12:06 PM ET  

Cliff,

Do you even pay attention to this stuff that you search the internet to find......anything that has Trump bashing news.

That article of yours was over 2 years old and long before the US and Mexico worked out a better trade deal...........which is in effect right now...............as Trump promised would happen.

United States–Mexico–Canada Agreement

President Enrique Peña Nieto(Mexico), President Donald Trump, and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau sign the agreement during the G20 summit in Buenos Aires, Argentina, on November 30, 2018.

UNITED STATES–MEXICO TRADE FACT SHEET  Modernizing NAFTA into a 21st Century Trade Agreement

https://ustr.gov/about-us/policy-offices/press-office/fact-sheets/2018/august/united-states%E2%80%93mexico-trade-fact-sheet-1

"The United States and Mexico have reached an agreement to modernize the 24-year-old NAFTA into a 21st century, high-standard agreement.  The updated agreement will support mutually beneficial trade leading to freer markets, fairer trade, and robust economic growth in North America."

Your outdated news is now fake news because it was replaced by GOOD news..........but you probably didn't read much about the GOOD news at the sources that you gravitate towards. 

By cliff-e - March 29, 2019, 8:02 p.m.
Like Reply

Yes I was aware the link is 2 years old when I posted but it is an example of what happens when trade deals give way to irrational thinking and trade deals (or, for that matter, ANY deal with 45) sometimes aren't worth the paper they're written on. There was certainly more at work than today's stocks and acreage report and it would be interesting to see a hourly timeline comparison of 45's Mexican border closing announcement (the straw that broke the camel's back?) and when the slats were kicked out from under the corn market. All bets are off when bi-polar 45 shoots his mouth off unexpectedly. I stand by this.

By GunterK - March 29, 2019, 10:02 p.m.
Like Reply

you asked "...t would be interesting to see a hourly timeline comparison of 45's Mexican border closing announcement ..."

Trump tweeted about closing the border at 11:27 a.m. ET, one half hour before the grain report came out. Corn actually went up 2 cts shortly thereafter, but this move was probably not related to Trump's tweet.

Corn dropped rapidly after the gran report was released.

By GunterK - March 29, 2019, 10:20 p.m.
Like Reply

I don't consider myself an expert in this matter.....

but I distinctly remember, late 2018, when $10 Billion was pledged to Mexico and Guatemala (?),  that one condition for this foreign aid was for Mexico to fortify their Southern borders and stop further "caravans" from making their way to the US

Mexico apparently took this money but did nothing to stop another caravan from approaching the US right now.

Should the US just stand by and smile?

What happens if Trump closes the border? 

As far as I know, there are thousands of Mexican workers with legitimate US work visas, who cross the borders every morning to work their jobs in San Diego, El Paso, etc, and return back to their homes in Mexico in the evening. Should these workers be stopped, it would probably have a negative effect on the economies of these Mexican border towns.

If Mexico retaliates with buying their corn from Brazil, the price of corn will probably go up in Mexico.

It seems to me, any Mexican retaliation will not last very long.

As I said, I am not an expert, but I would say "go right ahead, Mr. President, and see what happens"

By metmike - March 30, 2019, 12:39 a.m.
Like Reply

"If Mexico retaliates with buying their corn from Brazil, the price of corn will probably go up in Mexico.

It seems to me, any Mexican retaliation will not last very long.

As I said, I am not an expert, but I would say "go right ahead, Mr. President, and see what happens"

Gunter,

The article that cliff posted about Mexico threatening to buy Brazil corn was over 2 years ago and had absolutely nothing to to do with this. Mexico has not made any retaliation threats. 

The corn market was clobbered by a double whammy of intended planted acres for corn coming in much higher/bearish than all the guesses in combination with stocks coming in much higher than all the guesses. 

Cliff is completely imagining a correlation between Trump's announcement and the corn market trading today. It's that Trump Derangement Syndrome thing. Everything Trump does is somehow bad and everything bad was somehow Trumps fault. 

This was the entire reason:

By the numbers (complements of Reuters)

By cliff-e - March 30, 2019, 9:14 a.m.
Like Reply

The economic impact of a border closing would be staggering. I can tell you our local rail loading facility is sending many bushels of grain to Mexico. 

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/what-president-trumps-threat-to-close-the-u-s-mexico-border-would-cost/

As a lawyer friend of ours once said "This may sound like a good idea but lets think it thru to the very end to see how it'll really turn out." That theory seems lost on 45 and his minions.

By metmike - March 30, 2019, 10:01 a.m.
Like Reply

Outstanding article cliff!

By wglassfo - March 30, 2019, 11:59 a.m.
Like Reply

Hi Cliff

I have a vested interest in the price of corn as do others on this form

You are worried that Mexico will buy corn from Brazil

However, we must not lose sight of the fact the world uses X amount of corn every yr. Yes Brazil may sell corn to Mexico if the price is right

But that means they do not sell, as much to other customers

It would take a while but the supply and demand chain would adjust

We have contracts to sell corn off the combine for 5.65 CAD, fall delivery 2019

So: Somebody want corn

We may not sell to Mexico but we would likely find new customers wanting to buy frim us

As I said the corn useage would not be less, just because Brazil sells to Mexico

Trump is correct

There is a lot of other stuff coming froom Mexico that they sell to us

Their exports would be hurt in total, much worse than our markets

I don't have the numbers but I think we buy more than we sell to  Mexico

And think of the new production jobs that would happen in the USA

The USA just  prints money and buys from everybody, because you have the reserve dollar

A nation can not exist forever when it does not produce the goods it needs at the domestic level

Buying with paper is like buying with an IOU

I would never buy a tractor for 200,000 and give an IOU if I did not have money in the bank, or a crop to sell

An IOU is good only until the other party wants something of real value

Some day the people holding those IOU's may demand real assets/value for the IOU

If the reserve dollar fails you are in a world of hurt

Domestic production of real goods must happen within one's own country

Retail sales of goods produced in foreign countrie is a dangerous route to take

So let Brazil buy from Mexico and we will find customers coming ,looking to buy corn

Brazil has a zillion acres of land

They do not have the infrastructure to move, much more of that production to market at a competitive price

Imagine if we had to truck all our corn from the I states to the PNW to load on boats

Would be a bit costly

So  it is in Brazil

The markets will adjust, if Brazil decides to not supply their regular customers, because of sales to Mexico

It would have to be a  higher price for Brazil to sell to Mexico and abandon regular customers 

Never know, that might set the price for all corn to be higher. as Mexico looks to source new supplies of corn

I am willing to tke my chances on corn as the big picture is not in the best interst of the USA by doing things the same

I don't know of any other way to get the attention of the Mexician gov't

So far nothing has worked so lets give it a try

Something has to change

By metmike - March 30, 2019, 1:56 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Wayne!

We missed you.

By GunterK - March 30, 2019, 11:13 p.m.
Like Reply

new article...

now they are expecting to make over a million apprehensions in 2019. This is not including the 100,000s who make it through undetected.

One overcrowded detention center says "every 20 minutes another tour bus full" of detainees arrives at their place, and they are already filled to capacity.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-03-30/system-wide-collapse-texas-border-city-overwhelmed-surge-central-american-migrants

How any reporter, or any politician can say 'there is no crisis" is beyond me. Are they dumb, or are they ignorant (impossible in this "information age"), or are they malevolent? It must be the latter.