Trump is ok with year round DST
9 responses | 0 likes
Started by WxFollower - March 11, 2019, 1:33 p.m.

Trump is ok with year round DST, i.e., weather model release times never going back the one hour meaning Euro/EPS always finishing at 3 AM ET/4 AM ET.
 I hope this fails. It already failed in the 1970s due to school kids having to wait for the bus in the dark fall/winter. Aren't we supposed to learn from mistakes/history?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ory.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.daea4a1e327a

If the model initialization times could somehow be changed to 5Z/11Z/17Z/23Z along with the permanent DST, I'd be more accepting of this.

Comments
By carlberky - March 11, 2019, 2:34 p.m.
Like Reply

Looks like there are a lot more farmers than weathermen.

By metmike - March 11, 2019, 4:18 p.m.
Like Reply

"If the model initialization times could somehow be changed to 5Z/11Z/17Z/23Z along with the permanent DST, I'd be more accepting of this."

I don't see how that could happen Larry because of the release time of the weather balloons twice daily at 900 locations around the planet at exactly the same times every day.  The 12z and 0z model initialization times currently, are tied to the data from the balloons being available. 

After the models get the fresh weather balloon data, they are run ASAP with it and other stuff. The 6z and 18z runs are not considered as good because they lack new balloon data. Not sure at the moment why the European model output takes a couple of hours longer.  Maybe the computer processing takes longer.  They only run twice a day based on the timing of the balloon launchings/data. 

https://www.weather.gov/bmx/kidscorner_weatherballoons

Weather Balloons

Twice a day, every day of the year, weather balloons are released simultaneously from almost 900 locations worldwide! This includes 92 released by the National Weather Service in the US and its territories. The balloon flights last for around 2 hours, can drift as far as 125 miles away, and rise up to over 100,000 ft. (about 20 miles) in the atmosphere!
By wxgrant - March 11, 2019, 7:07 p.m.
Like Reply

I hate having to wait an extra hour for model data.  It makes a difference when preparing for my shows, especially the 10PM!  

I do like the longer daylight for fishing though :-) . 

By metmike - March 11, 2019, 8:18 p.m.
Like Reply

Grant,

I remember those days on tv doing the 10pm shows.

Of course back then(1993 and previous), it was the NGM(Nested Grid Model) model and only went out for 48 hours and only came out twice daily but we could get the numerical data just before the 10pm weather segment(not in time for production to change the worded forecast)  and I could verbally make adjustments to the forecast while on the air. 

By metmike - March 11, 2019, 8:24 p.m.
Like Reply

Actually, because my forecasts during standard time would incorporate the new NGM data at 10pm, I used to eat the weather competitions(at the other 2 stations) lunch for that time period.

We recorded the other 2 stations newscasts and during a month long period, I watched and jotted down their forecast and compared it to mine for the 10 pm shows. They were always using the NWS forecast verbatim, which was based on the 12z NGM.

I was using the 0z NGM, 12 hours later/fresher. 

By silverspiker - March 11, 2019, 9:12 p.m.
Like Reply

Twice a day, every day of the year, weather balloons are released simultaneously from almost 900 locations worldwide! This includes 92 released by the National Weather Service in the US and its territories. The balloon flights last for around 2 hours, can drift as far as 125 miles away, and rise up to over 100,000 ft. (about 20 miles) in the atmosphere!..........

=========\=\=\============

.... this is really groovy man... !

.... wowwwwww !

By metmike - March 11, 2019, 9:29 p.m.
Like Reply

Feeling Groovy by Paul Simon and Art Garfunkel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvlW4bEjB5A

By metmike - March 11, 2019, 9:44 p.m.
Like Reply

SS,

I feel that this particular song better represents the true essence of the authentic silverspiker from that time frame (-:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDpsDK97NNg

Actually, I have always loved this song, remembering vividly the Summer after it was released(1968) , being energized when listening to it play on the radio.. 

By silverspiker - March 11, 2019, 11:13 p.m.
Like Reply

.... great music does that to a man .... !   

TOWER OF POWER --- "What Is Hip"

HOT CHOCOLATE "Every 1's A Winner"......