National goals
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by mcfarmer - March 11, 2019, 12:09 a.m.

Watched the movie “Hidden Figures” tonight. What a great movie, one of the best. I imagine there were some artistic liberties taken, but still.

The Mrs and I talked about how we felt during that time. The optimism we all had, the feeling of a shared national goal. The heroes put before us.

I remember sitting in school watching the TV  scared $hitless they wouldn’t be able to get back from the moon.

What national goal do we have today ? Anything ? I can’t think of one.  Heroes ? I can’t think of one.

What goal would you put forward ? I honestly can’t come up with one. Have we become so jaded nothing seems worth the sacrifice ?

Comments
By WxFollower - March 11, 2019, 1:24 a.m.
Like Reply

We can't have a national goal since we're now and have been for awhile two nations within one country. The last time the US acted like one nation was the couple of years after 9/11. Should another attack like that occur, we'd come together to some extent. However, I do not think we'd be nearly as unified under Trump as we were under GW Bush.

By carlberky - March 11, 2019, 8:39 a.m.
Like Reply

As long as the goal in Washington is to kill what ever the other party wants, we can't have a national agenda. 

The only heros we seem to have are in sports, and even there fan team partisanship rears its ugly head.

Unfortunately, I fear it will be an enemy who will unite us once again.

By mcfarmer - March 11, 2019, 10:14 a.m.
Like Reply

“Should another attack like that occur, we'd come together to some extent. However, I do not think we'd be nearly as unified under Trump as we were under GW Bush.”

Yes, I think a sizable portion would blame Trump for the attack. Depending of course on how it played out.

If for example North Korea did something, I think Trump would catch some blame.

I personally don’t find tremendous fault in his handling of North Korea.

The only heros we seem to have are in sports, and even there fan team partisanship rears its ugly head.

Unfortunately, I fear it will be an enemy who will unite us once again.”

Heroes like that many times have feet of clay. 

Our political leaders certainly don’t give us much to respect. I think some younger folks might look to some of the new democrats as leaders. They are certainly of a different mold.