Happy DST
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by WxFollower - March 10, 2019, 3:45 a.m.

Happy DST to those who like it. I don't like it because we have to wait an extra hour for the wx models. :(

Comments
Re: Happy DST
0 likes
By carlberky - March 10, 2019, 11:29 a.m.
Like Reply

Uh, how come you didn't lose an hour? Arizona or, Hawaii ?

Re: Happy DST
0 likes
By WxFollower - March 10, 2019, 2:15 p.m.
Like Reply

No, I lost an hour because I'm not in either of those two states. So, the transition is not easy.

Edit: Ooops, now I see why you asked that. The wx models come out based on data (like from weather balloons) from fixed zulu based times like 0Z and 12Z that aren't affected by DST. So, what happens is this, for example: the 12Z GFS model ends up finishing at noon EST but not til 1 PM EDT. The zulu times aren't what's changing. Because of that, if I were in Arizona or Hawaii, the model release times wouldn't change.

By metmike - March 10, 2019, 4:52 p.m.
Like Reply

Larry,

That's exactly how I think of it too. We get all the model weather data 1 hour later. The 18z operational model will not be out before the ng open 5pm CDT as it was before for instance. Instead, it will come out between 5p-6p CDT vs 4p-5p CST before. 

I also have to thank you for starting this thread. Because of running the chess tournament yesterday, I forgot completely about DST. 

I'm a greeter before mass on Sunday's and might have missed it if not waking up early and seeing your initial post.