record numbers of illegal border crossers
12 responses | 0 likes
Started by GunterK - March 6, 2019, 5:23 p.m.

The number of apprehended illegal border crossers is at a record high, and the "system" is at a breaking point, it says here... more people arrested in last 5 months than any previous year

https://www.wsj.com/articles/more-migrant-families-arrested-at-border-in-five-months-than-any-previous-full-year-11551810657

and some politicians say there is no crisis!!! 

Comments
By mcfarm - March 6, 2019, 6:07 p.m.
Like Reply

couldn't b true, just heard Sheila Jackson lee state it was a made up crisis

By silverspiker - March 6, 2019, 7:40 p.m.
Like Reply

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

By metmike - March 6, 2019, 10:46 p.m.
Like Reply

WOW!

Border at ‘Breaking Point’ as More than 76,000 Unauthorized Migrants Cross in a Month

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/05/us/border-crossing-increase.html

“The system is well beyond capacity, and remains at the breaking point,” Kevin K. McAleenan, commissioner of Customs and Border Protection, told reporters in announcing the new data on Tuesday."

I stand corrected from a month ago in stating that it's not a crisis or emergency. I was obviously using old data that only went thru 2017.

But here's the funny, fake news spin that the NY Times puts on it:

"The number of migrant families crossing the southwest border has once again broken records, with unauthorized entries nearly double what they were a year ago, suggesting that the Trump administration’s aggressive policies have not discouraged new migration to the United States."

Hugh???

To be more accurate, Trump was blocked from being able to take the aggressive policies that he said were needed...... by the democrats...........because a wall is immoral or not needed because border crossings were historically low or wouldn't help or whatever.

"Record-Breaking Family Migration Is Overwhelming Border Agencies"

https://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/politics/Record-Breaking-Migration-Is-Overwhelming-Border-Agencies-506723291.html

"Most were families coming in ever-increasingly large groups — (caravans that the MSM told us were not really that bad) there were 70 groups of more than 100 people in the past few months, and they cross illegally in extremely rural locations with few agents and staff. There were only 13 large groups during the previous budget year, and only two the year before.

The system "is well beyond capacity, and remains at the breaking point," U.S. Customs and Border Protection Commissioner Kevin McAleenan said a press conference Tuesday.

The new figures reflect the difficulties President Donald Trump has faced as he tries to cut down on illegal immigration, his signature issue. But it could also help him make the case that there truly is a national emergency at the border — albeit one built around humanitarian crises and not necessarily border security. The Senate is expected to vote next week and join the House in rejecting his national emergency declaration aimed at building border walls, but Trump would almost certainly veto the measure and the issue is likely to be settled in the courts."

https://www.texasmonthly.com/news/border-patrol-apprehensions-are-at-an-11-year-high-most-are-families-and-children/

Based on my own prior ignorance, my position has changed. This clearly is a legit emergency/humanitarian crisis. The stats we were getting that border arrests were at a 10 year low are wrong.

By TimNew - March 7, 2019, 3:27 a.m.
Like Reply

The most effective border control we've seen in the last decade or so is a stagnant job market, particularly in the low skill areas.   Now that even the lower skill sets are showing demand, there will naturally be more activity at the border. If there is nothing to stop them,  they will come.

On a related topic...   If we could somehow convince the left that 75+% of the illegal crossings are done by people who identify as conservatives, the border wall would be completed in a month.

It certainly worked in California in the 70's for those gosh darn Vietnamese refugees who were fleeing a leftist regime.  Even Jerry "Moonbeam" Brown was opposed to refugees in those days. 

By joj - March 7, 2019, 5:19 a.m.
Like Reply

I think I saw on the NewsHour (PBS) that 10 years ago the illegal border crossings were 90% young males.  Today, the illegal crossings are 90% families.  So while normally, it is about jobs and opportunity.  But now, it suggests migrants are in fact fleeing violence and political unrest.  And in my view, there is a big difference.

By TimNew - March 7, 2019, 5:55 a.m.
Like Reply

How much violence and political unrest is there in Mexico?

By metmike - March 7, 2019, 7:48 a.m.
Like Reply

Regardless of the reason.....which has changed or the make up of the people.....that has changed it has quickly evolved into a crisis that justifies emergency actions........clearly.

If you disagree because you hate Trump then it's sad for you, our country and these poor people that are suffering from this humanitarian crisis that you won't recognize as a crisis.

By metmike - March 7, 2019, 7:56 a.m.
Like Reply

And the democratic response is to claim that climate change is a crisis.

The best weather and climate in the last 1,000 years is a crisis? I'm an atmospheric scientist of 37 years.........who has studied climate science the past 2 decades, Al Gore and the democrats do not know more than me about the weather and climate!

How can this possibly be justified under any system that claims to represent truth, ethics or the best interest of the people???

I'm an environmentalist and not a republican, just an independent scientist stating facts.

By TimNew - March 7, 2019, 8:31 a.m.
Like Reply

"How can this possibly be justified under any system that claims to represent truth, ethics or the best interest of the people???"

Quite simply,  it can't.  Fortunately, more people are waking up to this every day.  Hopefully, it's not too late.

By carlberky - March 7, 2019, 11:24 a.m.
Like Reply

"The new figures reflect the difficulties President Donald Trump has faced as he tries to cut down on illegal immigration ... but it could also help him make the case that there truly is a national emergency at the border — albeit one built around humanitarian crises and not necessarily border security."

"They cross illegally in extremely rural locations with few agents and staff."

Fine. Put up a fence in those rural locations ... but if you still have "few agents and staff", they will still get around, over or under the fence.  

By TimNew - March 7, 2019, 11:38 a.m.
Like Reply

"Fine. Put up a fence in those rural locations ... but if you still have "few agents and staff", they will still get around, over or under the fence.  "

They certainly will.  No one says the wall is the only solution we need.  It's a cost effective start that will do it's job, even during a government shut down.  

By mcfarm - March 7, 2019, 11:44 a.m.
Like Reply

boarder barriers are rarely affected by climate change