Do we take Trump's Twitter threats seriously?
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by mojo - Feb. 22, 2019, 7:41 a.m.

Trump has made ominous threats against his enemies for the last two years. Don't assume he won't follow through.

If you’ve decided to ignore Trump’s public statements, then you probably missed a series of tweets last weekend in which the president threatened “retribution” against "Saturday Night Live" for being mean to him, followed by another tweet in which he hinted at jailing his investigators at the Department of Justice. Then he capped off the series with two tweets describing former acting FBI director Andrew McCabe’s discussions about invoking the 25th Amendment as a “coup” and “treason.”

Sure, it’s entirely possible Trump’s merely pandering to his base. His only political asset right now is the cult-like loyalty of his Red Hat army, so he’s always force-feeding it plenty of mall steaks to keep the ranks energized. Furthermore, Trump has to know that the only thing keeping him out of federal prison right now is the office of the presidency. His declaration of a national emergency last Friday reinforces both of those goals: It gives the bigots another intravenous fix of anti-Latino racism just in time for the 2020 campaign, and it expands his executive authority as investigators circle the White House. Expanding his power, by the way, is an especially weird goal for the "limited government" conservatives who still support Trump to pursue, but that’s the least of the problems here.

Trump's threats about incarcerating his political enemies are given new weight by the national emergency declaration, knowing the expanded powers the declaration can legally provide. The Constitution, for example, allows the president to suspend habeas corpus in the event of an invasion. What has Trump repeatedly called the alleged emergency at the border? Yeah, an invasion.

https://www.salon.com/2019/02/21/do-we-take-trumps-twitter-threats-seriously-spoiler-alert-wed-better/

Comments
By silverspiker - Feb. 22, 2019, 11:59 a.m.
Like Reply

..... he means you dude....

..... you have no where to run...

..... or no where to hide.....

..... be very afraid my friend....

By wglassfo - Feb. 22, 2019, 5:10 p.m.
Like Reply

Myself if I was a USA citizen

I would be much more afraid of your FBI and the other agencies spying on your every movements, speech etc. Also they seem to have unlimited power as was seen with the Roger Stone episode

Could go on about the justice system for different people, who should at the very least face a grand jury [Hillary] and others who wanted to remove a sitting president, the off site private meetings etc.

To me that is a much more serious abuse of power, and to top it off, these are unelected people in positions of power

At least Trump had to win an election

Can't say the same about some other people

But; You folks know all this and nobody is going to change their thoughts

Maybe, if you have any assets, [which I seriously doubt] you should be a bit concerned about the social movement to take your wealth and give it away.

That's at least two things much more dangerous than what you posted about Trump. All he wants is what is best for the USA

You know that, even if you will not admit such a thing

By JP - Feb. 22, 2019, 6:39 p.m.
Like Reply

"Maybe, if you have any assets, [which I seriously doubt] you should be a bit concerned about the social movement to take your wealth and give it away."

Ouch! ROFL