Mato Grosso's Bumpy Ride
6 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Feb. 16, 2019, 6:56 p.m.

https://www.dtnpf.com/agriculture/web/ag/news/article/2019/02/13/infrastructure-improvements-remain?referrer=NLBestOf

"The Institute for Mato Grosso Economics of Agriculture (IMEA) projects it costs $80.51 a ton to get most soybeans and grains to port for farmers in the state. That equals roughly $2.20 for each bushel of beans. 

Mato Grosso farmers take significant basis discounts because roughly 60% of Mato Grosso's soybeans, more than 700 million bushels, go direct to export at ports that can be 1,800 kilometers (1,118 miles) away. With the wait time at port, it's a seven-day round trip for each semi-load of beans, typically two 25-metric-ton trailers of beans, or roughly 1,836 bushels each trip.

FREIGHT CHALLENGE

"Freight is a challenge every year, and it takes up to 30% of our prices compared to the price at the port," said Ricardo Silva, a farmer near Tangara in south-central Mato Grosso."

Comments
By wglassfo - Feb. 17, 2019, 4:09 a.m.
Like Reply

How do they keep harvesting

Hire a whole fleet of trucks or on farm storage

I don't read much about on farm storage

Heck even 5000 acres of beans would be time consuming to truck to port, with out a fleet of trucks

We haul more bu/trip and only go 50 miles round trip

I guess they do something, but I would like to know what it is???

We only have two semi trucks

By kermit - Feb. 17, 2019, 7:37 a.m.
Like Reply

63500 is maximum gross in Ontario. Only way we could haul 50 tonne is if truck weighs  13500. 

By metmike - Feb. 17, 2019, 4:53 p.m.
Like Reply

cliff,

How would you possibly not know that your politically laced, hateful diatribe would be immediately deleted here on the Trading Forum?

By cliff-e - Feb. 18, 2019, 6:39 a.m.
Like Reply

Part of what was deleted was the fact that SA farmers are more than likely using grain bagging equipment in the field for storage just as are being used in many parts of world as well as the USA. Some of this equipment is made in my home state of Mn.

But grain storage and transportation logistics are but one part affecting worldwide grain trade. Poor trade policies do indeed cause disruptions in price structure and I stand by that. We've seen it before and remember it all too well.

By metmike - Feb. 18, 2019, 10:32 a.m.
Like Reply

That's a great post. Thanks.

By becker - Feb. 18, 2019, 2:11 p.m.
Like Reply

Imagine 1000's of trucks loaded with beans in a single file (7km) line crawling along a roadway .  This is the reality everyday on Rt. 227 leading to the port of Paranagua during harvest. Dozens of bulk ships waiting on anchor to load. 

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-48.4/centery:-25.6/zoom:10