Sanders/Trump/Canada
3 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Jan. 31, 2019, 3:39 p.m.

It seems that Bernie is proposing a new idea to" tax the wealthy" to re-distribute wealth. Of course Bernie has been on this band wagon before but this one is dangerous IMHO and I think it will attract considerable support

Bernie wants the poor people to have their share of the pie. Well Bernie thinks any estate worth more than 3.5 million should be taxed at 45% [if my information is correct] He has a lot more ideas but this is enough for this post.

So why am I concerned.?? If anybody is elected in your country with anything close to a wealth tax, that becomes law, you can bet Canada will follow. We generally do follow, you folks, most of the time.

Well: I own farm land and other farm assets. I paid much less than todays market value. Just lucky I suppose. As I have said before, I went broke when I was  early 40 yrs old. So today, after leaving my family and going on the road for 8 yrs and farming part time, with a small stake [the farm we lived on] that I mortgaged as an offer to not go to court and file BK. The bank was happy as most were going to court at that time. I  paid the mortgage, which was at current land values, until today. I took risks and bought more farm land and have assets worth more than 5 million

A poll shows more than 50% think Bernies idea of taxing the rich is just okay with them. They obviously don't have assets worth 3.5 million. Can you imagine the financial strain a tax of 45% would put on my farm assets for any family members who just want a job in farming.

A small Co. that does construction could easily have 3. 5 million in machinery etc. Take a look at the people doing road construction. How much do they have invested in machinery.??

Can you imagine that at 1st glance anything over 3.5 million deserves a tax. That is a lot of money and those people can afford to pay the tax. But: Can you imagine how many Co's will be forced to close the doors if the tax makes it financially impossible to pay the tax and continue??

I bet you most people would vote to tax the rich and now it isn't just billionaires, it is millions as everybody tries to one up the other person in the search for votes.

Would you be in favour of taxing the rich and where do you draw the line as to who needs to pay a tax

Something else to consider while you think about taxing the rich

I played a little poker, at the casinso the other nite and lost 2500 dollars in the poker room. At a table for 8 and I stayed there for more than 10 hrs. [maybe much longer] Some pots had almost 1000.00 on the table, others had almost nothing. I saw people lose more than 1000.00 and walk away.

I don't do that but maybe once a yr and don't always lose. Does that mean I am rich, if I can afford to lose 2500.00 dollars cash in one nite??? I came to the poker table with more than 2500 cash. A nickel in price for my  physical corn, up or down, in the bin, is much more than 2500.00. If some people on the street saw me lose 2500.00 and walk away, with money in the bank, to pay my bills. Would they be in favour of taxing the rich?? Especially if they are living pay check to pay check???  I can lose that money and still have money in the bank. I won't say how much.  Am I a person that should pay more taxes?? How much more??? Or is the tax code just fine as is???

There is a lot to consider when you think about taxing the rich?? and candidates that propose to tax the rich.

Comments
By mcfarm - Jan. 31, 2019, 3:50 p.m.
Like Reply
By wglassfo - Jan. 31, 2019, 5:04 p.m.
Like Reply

Hi mc

You can say what you want about Bernie and I certainly agree with you and the article. My info came from a different source but they are the same

The problem is:

Take a look at the poll numbers

Both Sanders and his tax the wealthy band wagon speeches which he has pushed for ever, have considerable support

That is why, if you folks ever vote for somebody like Bernie, then we are doomed in Canada to follow the same tax the wealthy

Does a 3.5 million estate mean that much wealth deserves to be taxed at high rates?? Maybe lower like say 20 %??

What does the forum think. You know what mc and I think. We are willing to voice an opinion. Everything on the forum doesn't have to be Trump Trump etc. 

By mcfarm - Jan. 31, 2019, 6:02 p.m.
Like Reply

heck yes that is exactly what is scary. His wacked out positions, crazies like cortez in NY, Waters in CA, of course along with hARRIS, the new Gov in Ca all get support