Snopes refuses to correct....
14 responses | 0 likes
Started by GunterK - Jan. 26, 2019, 10:27 p.m.

https://www.zerohedge.com/news/2019-01-26/snopes-refuses-correct-nathan-phillips-stolen-valor-fact-check-google-facebook

are there left leaning and right leaning fact checkers?.... if this is so, then no fact checker can be trusted

Comments
By metmike - Jan. 27, 2019, 12:23 a.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Gunter,

I busted Snopes on several rulings back on the old forum but can't remember the topic.

Until several years ago, I used them without thinking there could be a bias. Then, on issues with wiggle room I noted they always went with one side.

Then, I noted that they intentionally left out some very relevant facts to rule to towards the same side.......then, I completely stopped using them.

They obviously have way more resources than the average person, so they will know much more about most topics than most people using them. This empowers a source to make a ruling that is accepted without being able to question them, .........or you wouldn't be using them, if you already knew the answer definitively because you already  had all the relevant facts. 

If, instead you have all the authentic information and know the answer with certainty on questionable or 2 sided issues, THEN check to see if they got it right............you will find the bias to one side. 

This particular example of yours is a good one. I'll try to find a few others vs just stating an opinion above, without a shred of evidence. 

By mcfarm - Jan. 27, 2019, 7:25 a.m.
Like Reply

thanks gunter but in todays world it makes little difference. Just the other day Lar, who has lauded here as a lib who is different, reasonable, not an elite looking down on us peons, had a slew of snotty posts to defend snopes  no matter the evidence

By joj - Jan. 27, 2019, 9:14 a.m.
Like Reply
By carlberky - Jan. 27, 2019, 9:35 a.m.
Like Reply

Well, how about that. All these years I  thought I was a Korean War veteran, but apparently not. I served 1951-1954, and was on a troop ship to Korea, but was diverted to Japan. 

I was in the 1st Marine Air Wing, and probably wouldn't have seen combat ... like 80% or more of those who serve.

So, does that make me a Korean ERA veteran ?

By TimNew - Jan. 27, 2019, 9:54 a.m.
Like Reply

Now, suppose instead of an honest account, you said you were a "Recon Ranger" (Which doesn't exist) and saw heavy action, which you did not?

By carlberky - Jan. 27, 2019, 10:38 a.m.
Like Reply

Tim, you answered my question, with a question.  Am I, and all of the other support personnel, Korean War veterans or not ?

By TimNew - Jan. 27, 2019, 10:43 a.m.
Like Reply

If you were in Korea during the war,  you are a Korean war vet.  If you were not in Korea, but were in during the Korean war,  you are a Korean war era vet.

By mcfarm - Jan. 27, 2019, 11:20 a.m.
Like Reply

this has nothing to do with Carl. The phony vet on video claims he was "in country" I am sure a term he saw in movies and the news. He however was in Oklahoma supposed to be fixing air condition units but went awol instead and was arrested for such....that is called "stolen valor"...sorry no other term describes it more accurately.

By carlberky - Jan. 27, 2019, 11:36 a.m.
Like Reply

Tim, your definition fits well with the theme of this thread, but is at odds with my friend Google.

https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=AthNXKvAGoH59APIsoDgAQ&q=definition+of+korean+war+veteran&oq=define+korean+war+vetern&gs_l=psy-ab.1.1.0i22i30l2.6357.30700..36953...0.0..0.1202.11861.0j4j4j4j2j5j3j2......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131j0j0i10j0i22i10i30.YBXQSdfRpmc

"A "wartime veteran" is an individual who served in the active military forces, during a period of armed conflict or who received the armed forces expeditionary or other campaign service medal during an emergency condition and who was discharged or released under other than dishonorable conditions.

"More than 5.7 million Americans served during the Korean War, and today there are still approximately over 2.25 million Korean war veterans still alive."

I can not address the issue of snopes or Phillips in this thread at this time.

By mcfarm - Jan. 27, 2019, 11:46 a.m.
Like Reply

as was explained. we assume you made no false claims about your service carl...hats off to you, Phillips on the other had has been caught in north of a dozen direct lies in the last week and metmike has documented most

By TimNew - Jan. 27, 2019, 1 p.m.
Like Reply

War veteran definition

va.org

Image: va.org

A war veteran is any GI (Government Issue) ordered to foreign soil or waters to participate in direct or support activity against an enemy. The operant condition: Any GI sent in harm's way.

By metmike - Jan. 27, 2019, 1:57 p.m.
Like Reply

So let's give the guy the benefit of the doubt and call him a Vietnam era veteran. 

Still doesn't explain the other stuff:

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/22469/

Compare that with the 16 year old boy:

https://www.marketforum.com/forum/topic/22406/

Covington Student Nick Sandmann Hires Prominent Libel Attorney

https://www.thewrap.com/nick-sandmann-hires-prominent-attorney/

Hold CNN and others in the biased media accountable for fake news!

By mcfarm - Jan. 27, 2019, 3:25 p.m.
Like Reply

metmike, I respect our vets way too much too give this clown any benefit of any doubt. He even went so far as to state he left the service in good standing....really, kind of doubt you go awol and leave in  good standing....well unless the great Obama tries to pull a fast one like the bergdahl fiasco, rewrite history and call him a hero.....you all remember that one

By metmike - Jan. 27, 2019, 4:43 p.m.
Like Reply

mcfarm,

Giving him the benefit of the doubt over something but holding him accountable for his dishonorable behavior at many other times:

Native American elder says Covington high school student Nick Sandmann didn't apologize, maybe should be expelled

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/native-american-elder-says-covington-high-school-student-nick-sandmann-didnt-apologize-maybe-should-be-expelled

The Indian says this out of one side of his mouth(trying to present a positive image of himself):

"The 64-year-old veteran's comments on Tuesday came as he and other representatives of the Indigenous Peoples March and the Lakota People’s Law Project reach out to Covington Catholic High School regarding the possibility of talking to its boys."

But when he actually received an offer to get together with the teenagers...........he declines:

"Phillips had previously declined an offer from Ohio restaurateur Jeff Ruby to host the two parties for dinner so they could "break bread and make amends."

Then, back to one side of his mouth:

"I was seeing America be divided by hatred, and I wanted to turn away from this horrible sight and I wanted to go away from it. I wanted to just ignore it, but then that thought ... to my commitment to God, to a better future for all youth the next generation."

Then, back to the other side of his mouth.... displaying intolerance(ironically, for the victim):

Phillips said he may now favor Covington Catholic High School expelling teenagers like Sandmann, a junior, because he "didn’t accept any responsibility."

Back to the same disingenuous side of  his  and his groups mouth again:

"In the same Tuesday statement, the Indigenous Peoples March and the Lakota People’s Law Project announced they were approaching Vatican officials — "ideally Pope Francis himself" — to discuss how the Catholic Church can improve relations "worldwide with Indigenous people."

But then,  not just the other side of their mouth's, but their completely contradictory  aggressive, recorded actions, attempting to break into and  disrupt the Catholic Churches holy mass at this event(which required security,  police and participants to be locked inside- to stop him)

But many in the mainstream media continue to adore him and give him credibility

Catholic League Logo

MEET THE INDIAN AND BLACK THUGS

https://www.catholicleague.org/meet-the-indian-and-black-thugs/

"A group of about 20 Indians, led by activist Nathan Phillips, tried to storm a Mass on January 19 at the Basilica of the National Shrine of Immaculate Conception in Washington D.C. They were stopped by security who had to lock the doors. This is what the Nazis did to the Jews in Hitler’s Germany—they crashed the synagogues during services.

It is against the law in D.C. to disturb a religious service. Had Phillips succeeded, it would have been a hate crime. If the Catholic students had barged into a crowd of Indians while they were praying, they would be on the front page of every newspaper in the country and it would be the lead story on the broadcast and cable news outlets."