Illegal drugs
5 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Jan. 9, 2019, 4:38 p.m.

I've had this on my mind for some time. Since Trump sems to be sucking all the oxygen out of the air, maybe something different to think about

What would be wrong with making all drugs legal in the whole country Canada and the USA. Yes cocaine, meth and all those other pills. Anybody I know who uses drugs will find a supplier and the money to buy. Most lead a life of crime to support their habit. If Mexico would join then so much the better. 

We need to face the fact too many young adults face lengthy prison terms for possession of drugs. We spend billions on the war against drugs and it simply is not working. This makes no sense to me and is counter productive. I think the verdict is in. The war on drugs will not be won. Nor will we keep it down to a dull roar.

Has alcohol been any worse of a problem after prohibition?? I know society would be up in arms over such a proposal but the scuttle butt in Canada is a working paper  on legalizing all drugs. It seems one problem is the FDA and other agencies who would need to have some control over dosage, contents in the drug, who can produce, lab tests etc.

But to my thinking this is no different than the content of any legal drug sold at the drug store. And mind you, some drugs sold at the drug store are mighty potent.

One side benefit for all you Trump haters is this proposal would take the wind out of Trump and his argument about drugs pouring over the border into the USA. We could have our own supply of cheap, home produced drugs and the many jobs created by a different approach. Would Cortez and Pelosie support such a proposal. A person should ask them. The reply should be hilarious. Schumer is such a stick in the mud, no sense asking him. 

So who is against legal drugs and why.   I am not the sharpest stick in the wood pile so bring it on

Just so you know. I have never used any drug other than prescription drugs prescribed by my doctor. Most drugs are pain related for cluster head aches. I have had my entire supply of drugs searched at customs and not one problem.

Comments
By carlberky - Jan. 9, 2019, 6:59 p.m.
Like Reply

Wayne, there's a better way. When the Red Chinese took over, they inherited the mother of all drug problems.
They got rid of the problem in one year. How ? They imposed the death penalty for dealers.  

By wglassfo - Jan. 9, 2019, 8:10 p.m.
Like Reply

Well Carl, I went to my friend goggle to get some info on your claim about the death penalty

I skipped over the opium wars, and could find little to nothing about the Red Chinese. Not saying what you posted is not true, but things must have changed, at least by 2015 as I  found an article written by Shannon Tiezzi in May 28/2015. It is a bit dated but did give some information

They must not have had the death penalty in 2015 because Chinas Supreme People's Court was trying to make the case for harsher penalties for drug crimes and even the death penalty for serious drug crimes 

Drug crimes more than doubled from 2006-2011 in fact the numbers were 31,350 - 69,751 Now this doesn't sound like a very serious situation until a person reads further This is the "4th: most common crime in china

The N.Y Times published an article in January [yr unknown] that even during the midst of a crack down on drug dealers, [yr unknown] the drug dealers felt comfortable peddling their wares in public on the streets of Beijing. China has spent trillions on the "war on drugs" according to the N.Y Times

So if the death penalty did in fact exist, it must have changed because of the Supreme People's Court making the case for the death penalty. Thus the death penalty must not have existed in 2015 The article also went on to stress the failure to control drugs in china, even as late as 2015, which was the date posted.

By carlberky - Jan. 9, 2019, 10:51 p.m.
Like Reply

https://books.google.com/books?id=8Rv-MsA4UGIC&pg=PA128&dq=heroin+hui&hl=en&sa=X&ei=r1UFVIGZG4WyggTDq4KYBg&ved=0CCQQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=heroin%20hui&f=false

Wayne, on page 105 the first paragraph is by an expert on the history of drugs in china. She states that her motivation was to refute the impression held by American scholars that China got rid of the drug problem in the 1950s simply by public killing of drug offenders.

Never the less,  IMHO, it's still simply a better idea to execute drug dealers, rather then to expand a drug problem by making drugs legal.

By WxFollower - Jan. 9, 2019, 11:08 p.m.
Like Reply

Wayne,

I, too, have suffered greatly with clusters, nicknamed the suicide headache. Related to this, do you ever take antihistamines (like Claridin, Bensdryl, etc)?

By TimNew - Jan. 10, 2019, 8:13 a.m.
Like Reply

Carl,  you don't really believe the "war on drugs" has made drugs less accessible, do you?  Back in the 70's, if I made more than 2 phone calls,  I was comparison shopping. I doubt that's changed. 

It's been a dismal failure that has not resolved a thing while causing problems and costing billions.