Cruz submits amendment for term limits
7 responses | 0 likes
Started by TimNew - Jan. 5, 2019, 8:11 a.m.

Dems to begin opposing term limits in 5-4-3-2...

If we could get Trump to talk about how great oxygen is, I wonder how many dems would refuse to breath?

https://www.businessinsider.com/ted-cruz-term-limit-amendment-term-senate-2019-1

"Sen. Ted Cruz introduced a constitutional amendment that would allow only two terms for senators and three for members of the House of Representatives."

Comments
By JP - Jan. 5, 2019, 9:10 a.m.
Like Reply

I'd rather see an amendment restricting congress critters from taking a job as a lobbyist until 10 years after they leave congress. Might have a few less owned by the Chamber of Commerce while they're serving that way.

By TimNew - Jan. 5, 2019, 9:24 a.m.
Like Reply

Probably doesn't need to be an amendment,  but promised cush jobs are a completely legal form of bribery, so not a bad idea.  As pols don't think that far into the future,  10 years would be as good as forever...  

As an aside,  I used to be completely opposed to term limits, but then I lost faith in the electorate.

By carlberky - Jan. 5, 2019, 9:32 a.m.
Like Reply

So. Tim, are you predicting a vote on the bill along party lines ? 52 pubs for and 47/48 against.

By TimNew - Jan. 5, 2019, 9:37 a.m.
Like Reply

I think the bill is DOA. We don't have enough public servants in office, on either side, to support something like this. It would likely require a constitutional convention.

By carlberky - Jan. 5, 2019, 9:47 a.m.
Like Reply

Cruz tried that in 2017. Here's the results:

https://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/312571-cruz-desantis-push-for-congressional-term-limits

Neither House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.), who has said he supports term limits, nor Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) has signaled it could come up for a vote. McConnell appeared to shut down Trump's push after the election, telling reporters, "We have term limits — they're called elections."

By TimNew - Jan. 5, 2019, 9:53 a.m.
Like Reply

Not at all surprised. What I meant by opposition above was more along the lines of Facebook memes and MSM reports on the "Evils of Term Limits". 

By silverspiker - Jan. 5, 2019, 9:31 p.m.
Like Reply

Good Luck