Mac health update
6 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Dec. 27, 2018, 11:54 p.m.

Our 28 year old son, Mac is a bit  better. They let him sit in a chair for 2 hours today as well as having clear liquids.

Thanks to everyone for your well wishes/thoughts, prayers and positive traffic.

He has acute, severe pancreatitis and a couple of other issues. 

The normal level of the enzyme amylase, secreted by the pancreas is around 100 units/liter. His was 17,000!

Maybe he can move out of the ICU on Saturday. Possibility of getting out of the hospital.........Monday/Tuesday??? He will be coming back to Indiana with us so that we can help him recover at our house. 

Acute pancreatitis        

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/stomach-liver-and-gastrointestinal-tract/acute-pancreatitis

Pancreatitis: Understanding the Causes and Symptoms

https://universityhealthnews.com/daily/digestive-health/pancreatitis-understand-the-causes-and-symptoms-to-find-relief/

https://universityhealthnews.com/wp-content/uploads/pancreatitis.jpg

Comments
By carlberky - Dec. 28, 2018, 6:18 a.m.
Like Reply

I had a couple of bouts with Pancreatitis and the waves of nausea and the heaves had me asking God, "Why me?".
Glad Mac is doing better and hope that your expectations work out and brings you all the relief you need and deserve. 

Our hopes and well wishes are with you.

By JP - Dec. 28, 2018, 5:32 p.m.
Like Reply

Hope the prognosis continues to improve, Mike. Happy to hear that there has been some improvement in Mac's condition of late. 

By metmike - Dec. 31, 2018, 12:38 p.m.
Like Reply

Mac is doing great today. We should finally be out of here on Wednesday.

Mac developed ICU psychosis on Saturday/Sunday from all the meds and being stuck in a bed for over a week and had a huge set back. He actually had to have a patient sitter for 24 hours because he was having wild delusions and got out of control.

This is not that unusual.  We were told that this could last a few more days or he could suddenly snap out of it.

He snapped out of it last night. The best part is seeing how happy Deb is. 

Thanks for your thoughts, words and prayers.....especially to my open minded, thoughtful and dependable friend Carl.

We will probably not be back home until early morning Thursday from a 15 hour drive, so maybe I can resume weather, history and other threads on Friday. 

By JP - Dec. 31, 2018, 12:53 p.m.
Like Reply

"Mac is doing great today. We should finally be out of here on Wednesday."

Great news! I hope if you all aren't out of there on Wednesday, it's because you got out on Tuesday!

By metmike - Dec. 31, 2018, 12:59 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks JP,

There is actually an outside chance of that. 

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts, prayers and words. Especially to my buddy Carl, who filled in for me!

By metmike - Dec. 31, 2018, 1:05 p.m.
Like Reply

OK, I just got done saying that........been a long, long 7 days here, with me sending out tons of  daily emails to family updating everyone and losing track of a few things.