Special message-December 23
16 responses | 1 like
Started by metmike - Dec. 23, 2018, 8:29 p.m.

Deb and I will be in Denver CO this coming week. Our 28 year old son Mac is in ICU at Denver Health Hospital and we will be there until he recovers. 

Please continue to post, communicate and visit as usual but without as much influence from me. 

Comments
By joj - Dec. 23, 2018, 8:43 p.m.
Like Reply

God's speed.

By hayman - Dec. 23, 2018, 11:01 p.m.
Like Reply

Your presence there together will make all the difference.  Sincerest thoughts for the greatest fortune, Sir...

By 7475 - Dec. 23, 2018, 11:54 p.m.
Like Reply

Mike

I hope this is not as serious as my mind is making it seem.

Not asking for details just send ing a sincere prayer.

By MarkB - Dec. 24, 2018, 3:41 a.m.
Like Reply

Take care of your family. Prayers.

By silverspiker - Dec. 24, 2018, 4:35 p.m.
Like Reply

Peace , Love and Joy...   

By metmike - Dec. 25, 2018, 4:17 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks very much for your prayers and thoughts. Mac will be in ICU for at the least the next 2 days. At least he's not worse but he's not turned the corner yet.

It was a 15 hour drive here yesterday and 1 hour before arriving, we hit a deer that totaled our car. Took an extra 8 hours after that to get us and our stuff to the hotel and have a rental car.

At least nobody was hurt.

Merry Christmas!!!!

By TimNew - Dec. 25, 2018, 7:53 p.m.
Like Reply

Jeeezzzz.   Sorry Mike.  I am sure things will get much better from here. 

By TimNew - Dec. 25, 2018, 7:53 p.m.
Like Reply

Jeeezzzz.   Sorry Mike.  I am sure things will get much better from here. 

By metmike - Dec. 27, 2018, 11:50 p.m.
Like Reply

Mac is a bit  better. 

Thanks to everyone for your well wishes/thoughts, prayers and positive traffic.

He has acute, severe pancreatitis and a couple of other issues. 

The normal level of the enzyme amylase, secreted by the pancreas is around 100 units/liter. His was 17,000!

They let him sit in a chair for 2 hours today as well as having clear liquids. Maybe he can move out of the ICU on Saturday. Possibility of getting out of the hospital.........Monday/Tuesday??? He will be coming back to Indiana with us so that we can help him recover at our house. 

Acute pancreatitis        

https://www.nhsinform.scot/illnesses-and-conditions/stomach-liver-and-gastrointestinal-tract/acute-pancreatitis

Pancreatitis: Understanding the Causes and Symptoms

https://universityhealthnews.com/daily/digestive-health/pancreatitis-understand-the-causes-and-symptoms-to-find-relief/

https://universityhealthnews.com/wp-content/uploads/pancreatitis.jpg

By metmike - Dec. 29, 2018, 2:28 p.m.
Like Reply

It's setback Saturday here in Denver. 

Our son has been improving physically but has developed severe ICU psychosis.

Massive meds of all kinds, stress to his internal organs and trapped in the same bed for over a week with no sense of night/day/time have resulted in wild delusions

He thinks that Donald Trump is trying to destroy America.......hold on a sec, that's  the view of millions.......they should let him out  pronto-:

Just kidding and trying to have a sense of humor.

He has to be restrained and is getting  anti psychotic meds. This could go on well into next week.

By TimNew - Dec. 29, 2018, 6:06 p.m.
Like Reply

We're with ya Mike.. in spirit.  I know all will be well.  The physical hurdles are getting smaller. The rest will follow.

By metmike - Dec. 29, 2018, 10:33 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks much Tim,

Incredibly, he went from being completely delusional all morning, took a 2 hour nap and was completely lucid when he woke up. They let him have a small meal of his first solid food in 8 days after that and he finished the day with enough mental clarity to hope for a discharge early next week.

He still can't walk but we're betting that could happen as soon as Sunday/tomorrow. 

By metmike - Dec. 31, 2018, 12:44 p.m.
Like Reply

Macs ICU psychosis got MUCH worse on Saturday night and Sunday.

Then, late Sunday, he snapped out of it and is doing wonderful here on Monday. We are thinking that he can be discharged on Wednesday.

The best part today is seeing how happy Deb is!!

Thanks very much for your thoughts, words and prayers. 

By Lacey - Dec. 31, 2018, 1:08 p.m.
Like Reply

Our hearts are behind you Mike.  May 2019 bring in health and happiness.

By metmike - Dec. 31, 2018, 1:12 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts, words and prayers. Especially to my dependable and thoughtful pal, Carl for picking up his posting to fill in for me. 

By Jim_M - Dec. 31, 2018, 1:12 p.m.
Like Reply

Mike, it sounds like you have had a crazy week!  At least from your last post it sounds like your son is making progress.  Hopefully he is well onto the road to recovery.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.