Gen. Mattis dumps the Rump
18 responses | 0 likes
Started by mojo - Dec. 20, 2018, 6:22 p.m.

Comments
By metmike - Dec. 20, 2018, 7:26 p.m.
Like Reply

Good for Trump!

It's about time that we had a president with the guts to do this............ get us out of the Middle East after 7 decades of meddling, causing those people to hate us and resulting in the loss of  many brave US soldiers.......... and accomplishing very little.

Trump is considering pulling our troops out of Afghanistan too. Yessssss!

Defense chief James Mattis resigns over Trump’s order to withdraw troops from Syria: Officials

https://www.straitstimes.com/world/united-states/mattis-resigns-as-defense-chief-citing-differences-with-trump

"Officials said Mattis went to the White House on Thursday afternoon in a last attempt to convince Trump to keep U.S. troops in Syria. He was rebuffed, and told the president that he was resigning as a result."

Democrats that want cuts in the military budget and believe in less military intervention should be thrilled with Trumps decision to pull out of the Middle East.

They are thrilled............but not for that reason. They are thrilled for the same reason that you and the media are mojo. Another opportunity to spin news badly for Trump. 

This decision to pull out of the Middle East would be widely celebrated by the Dems and liberal media..............if it was Obama in office...........and the republicans would be having a cow.

That was one of the things that I really liked about Obama..........his commitment to making peace in the world. 

By metmike - Dec. 20, 2018, 8:04 p.m.
Like Reply

And nothing against "Mad Dog" Mattis. 

I like him. He is an honorable man with tremendous leadership. Am sorry to see him go in  a way,  though I didn't like his aggresive military intervention ideas. 

By metmike - Dec. 20, 2018, 8:12 p.m.
Like Reply

Rand Paul: Promise To End The War In Syria Is Why Trump Won The Election

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2018/12/20/rand_paul_promise_to_end_war_in_syria_is_why_trump_won_the_election.html

On 'America's Newsroom' Senator Rand Paul backed President Trump in the face of harsh criticism from Republicans over his decision to withdraw the 2,000-strong U.S. force from Syria.

RAND PAUL: This is a very bold move for President Trump. It is exactly what he promised the American people -- in fact it is one of the reasons he won the election. Because he is different from so many Republicans who want us to be everywhere all the time around the world. They want us to be the world policeman, that every war on the planet we have to have our soldiers involved with.

"President Trump said he was going to treat America first. I think bringing some of that money home, whether it goes towards border security or building bridges or roads in our country.

All of the naysayers in Washington will be against him, but guess what, if you ask the American people, this is why President Trump won the election."

By pj - Dec. 20, 2018, 8:18 p.m.
Like Reply

Have to hope it works out better than BO's pulling all the troops out of Iraq.

By metmike - Dec. 20, 2018, 8:42 p.m.
Like Reply

If I remember correctly, I thought that you were sort of a libertarian guy pj?

John Stossel is one of your favorites.

Forgot to mention the trillions, with a T that we have flushed down the toilet in the Middle East.

"Have to hope it works out better than BO's pulling all the troops out of Iraq."

I know that you were against the Iraq war but were you for keeping the troops there after the war?

There are too many countries with dynamics way beyond what we can control for us to be giving up our lives and money based on politicians/government having a military chess battle  that they sell to the citizens as having a justifiable reason to intervene.

How many great generals are there in history that are known for their aversion to war and actions that promote peace and avoid military intervention?

They got to be generals because they are great military leaders, not peace makers.

When there is no choice but having a war/battle, give me great generals to lead our country. When we want to stop the insanity of our decades of wasted military interventions in the Middle East, leave the decisions to somebody other than the great generals.

By wglassfo - Dec. 20, 2018, 10:11 p.m.
Like Reply

You mention BO desire to make peace with the world

I think more than a few people were a bit uncomfortable when BO started out on a grand tour and apology for americian war actions

In my mind he never learned to walk softly and carry a big stick

His war time rules of engagement probably cost a lot of lives

Politicians that sit in Washington have no idea what the soldier in the line of fire has to decide

Trump may have a better sense of actual lives at risk rather than cannon fodder.

Plus I think Trump asked the question:

Trillions spent and what has it got us

I believe Chretian refused to go into Iraq but we did engage in most if not all other ME war zones

By frey_1999 - Dec. 20, 2018, 10:44 p.m.
Like Reply

And  the likes of you Mike own it 

It simply is amazing to think back 4 years, and think how the. TT' s would have reacted to any previous POTUS, that would have acted like the current Jack wad of a POTUS has acted

By JP - Dec. 20, 2018, 11:05 p.m.
Like Reply

"It simply is amazing to think back 4 years and think how the. TT' s would have reacted to any previous POTUS would have acted like this kind of Jack wad"

You could post that a hundred times and it still wouldn't make a lick of sense even once. 

By wglassfo - Dec. 21, 2018, 2:01 a.m.
Like Reply

Looks like we may not have heard the last of this

Washington is already taking sides, many tweeting sympathetic words for Gen Mattis

Wonder how many supporters Trump might have

This is being called chaos in the WH

Nobody has uttered the words bully tactics yet, but you can sense people have come unglued over Mattis resignation

Mattis stated very strongly in his letter of resignation the value of alliances.

I have posted before the USA has no allies. I was wrong. Trump has no allies

His own party is now throwing him under the bus

Not my thoughts

Just reading the tea leaves

By metmike - Dec. 21, 2018, 8 a.m.
Like Reply

Exactly like when he pulled out of the very fraudulent climate accord.

By cliff-e - Dec. 21, 2018, 8:09 a.m.
Like Reply
By metmike - Dec. 21, 2018, 10:37 a.m.
Like Reply

frey,

I have taken profound ownership on my position, as an atmospheric scientist,  with regards to climate change, more than a decade before the fraudulent Climate Accord.....which I have been blasting with all guns firing well before Trump came along and he did one of the gutsiest and smartest things for a US president to do in my life time....pull out of it as the entire world, every country, including his own blasted him. 

While I'm no expert on the military or wars, I have seen enough corruption, along with wasted lives and money in these endeavors, entirely for political agenda to have formed a strong opinion.............which is one reason that I voted for Obama in 2008 vs McCain.

So I'll gladly own this position too!

By metmike - Dec. 21, 2018, 11 a.m.
Like Reply

Trump’s troop withdrawal caps failed US policy in Syria, experts say

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2018/12/20/trumps-troop-withdrawal-syria-caps-failed-policy-experts-say/2370556002/

Cutting U.S. losses

"Others said Trump's decision would cut American losses before things got even worse. 

The rationales to stay are "awful," said Friedman, who argued that the United States should embrace its defeat of the Islamic State caliphate in Syria and "not stick around long enough" to become more deeply embroiled in the conflict, particularly with Russian forces propping up the Assad regime. 

"The consequences of getting into a fight with Russia are not just terrible. They’re essentially catastrophic," he said. 

One thing liberals, conservatives, and centrists can agree on: U.S. involvement may have made Syria’s civil war worse – not better. 

“America’s military presence in Syria has always been too little to make a decisive difference but just enough to prolong the fighting," said Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., a member of the Senate Foreign Affairs Committee. "Our halfhearted military commitment made no sense from the start – we went into this war without legal authorization or realistic objectives and discounted the American people’s clear aversion to getting involved in another quagmire in the Middle East." 

Justin Logan, director of programs at Catholic University's Center for the Study of Statesmanship, agreed that the U.S. role seemed to extend a conflict Assad was guaranteed to win.

"The country has been turned into a charnel house," he said. "There’s an awful lot of carnage for not that much payoff."

The American people, since the Iraq War have made it clear that they wanted this. 

By pj - Dec. 21, 2018, 11:37 a.m.
Like Reply

Metmike,

"If I remember correctly, I thought that you were sort of a libertarian guy pj?

John Stossel is one of your favorites."

Correct, but not on all points all the time.

"I know that you were against the Iraq war but were you for keeping the troops there after the war?

Again, correct. I thought our going was a mistake, especially since it seemed Sadam was ready to cave on inspections.

But after all lives lost and $ spent,  it seemed a mistake not to try to salvage some benefit and leave the obvious vacuum.  I didn't foresee how big and problem Isis became, but that's what we got.

To me it's unfortunate, though I admit Syria is such a mess I can't see any good outcome, that for the 2nd time (the 1st being after the 1st Gulf War) were leaving the Kurds, which were our most reliable ally in the region, in the lurch.

By Lacey - Dec. 21, 2018, 5:40 p.m.
Like Reply

Your little emoji looks worried moho.  You would rather we fight another 3 generations in the mideast  for the goal of greater Israel?  Trump has shut down tensions in Korea, Syria and possibly Afganistan, made a real decision on border security, is attacking trade non reciprocity, trying to get protected allies into paying their fair share and doesn't even have the backing of his own party.  And this is all a negative to you?  Really?

By mojo - Dec. 21, 2018, 8:32 p.m.
Like Reply

Gen. Mattis was the last responsible adult the Rump had in his cabinet. Now that he's gone there is nobody to keep the Rump's impulses in check. That's bad.  All the rest of his advisors are lap dogs.   

By metmike - Dec. 21, 2018, 9:56 p.m.
Like Reply

Gen. Mattis was the last responsible adult the Rump had in his cabinet. Now that he's gone there is nobody to keep the Rump's impulses in check.

mojo,

What you refer to as impulses, many a  thinking man(or woman) calls achievements:

Trump’s list: 289 accomplishments in just 20 months, ‘relentless’ promise-keeping

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/washington-secrets/trumps-list-289-accomplishments-in-just-20-months-relentless-promise-keeping

My favorite.........withdrawing from the fraudulent climate accord is not listed nor  #2 ............. bringing our soldiers home from the Middle East to save American lives and American money that have been getting flushed down the proverbial toilet for 60 years.

While the source above is clearly conservative, it serves to note that there is MUCH more going on with this administrations very productive accomplishments than what the media will report, as they focus almost exclusively on spinning everything negative.

I feel obligated to inject some of this reality into threads and posts here, in part because, as shown previously one side dominates the Trump discussion(obsession) with only one, negative side.

However, It was very nice this week to have a couple of  democrats acknowledge 2 of Trumps recent achievements with positive threads. 

All we want is fairness, telling both sides, good and bad. Balance and authentic truths. There is no shortage of hearing the bad stuff..........24 hours a day on some media sources.  

mojo, we know that we can always count on you for providing bad stuff. 

By mojo - Dec. 22, 2018, 12:06 p.m.
Like Reply

"mojo, we know that we can always count on you for providing bad stuff. "

Dang it, you got me figured out.