44 ex-senators warn U.S. is 'entering a dangerous period'
16 responses | 0 likes
Started by mojo - Dec. 11, 2018, 7:09 a.m.

A bipartisan group of nearly four dozen former senators warned current and future members of the Senate on Monday that the United States is “entering a dangerous period,” and urged them to defend America’s democracy by serving national interests rather than political ideologies.

“We are on the eve of the conclusion of special counsel Robert S. Mueller III’s investigation and the House’s commencement of investigations of the president and his administration,” the 44 ex-lawmakers wrote in an op-ed published by The Washington Post. “The likely convergence of these two events will occur at a time when simmering regional conflicts and global power confrontations continue to threaten our security, economy and geopolitical stability.”

The senators continued: “It is a time, like other critical junctures in our history, when our nation must engage at every level with strategic precision and the hand of both the president and the Senate. We are at an inflection point in which the foundational principles of our democracy and our national security interests are at stake, and the rule of law and the ability of our institutions to function freely and independently must be upheld.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/10/ex-senators-op-ed-1055429

Comments
By mcfarm - Dec. 11, 2018, 11:10 a.m.
Like Reply

yes you silly tax payers...do your duty...fund our congressional slush funds fully so they can have more fun and pay more hookers with your money

By metmike - Dec. 11, 2018, 11:21 a.m.
Like Reply

"We are at an inflection point in which the foundational principles of our democracy"

Yes, and thats exactly why we should give zero credibility to  bs letters from enemies of the democratically elected president as they continue to try to overthrow the results of the election that they lost.

...........and the party that lost, doesn't get to set the agenda.

You'll get your chance in 2020. Sorry dudes, but DEMOCRATIC elections for president only happen every 4 years. 

By carlberky - Dec. 11, 2018, 6:22 p.m.
Like Reply

Can anyone quote a line in the op-ed that they find offensive or partisan ?

By mcfarm - Dec. 11, 2018, 6:27 p.m.
Like Reply

did you miss the part where the whore dogs are actually lecturing us on "national interests" really ???????

By metmike - Dec. 11, 2018, 7 p.m.
Like Reply

Carl,

I apologize for not having read the entire article earlier and will withdraw my previous statement..............as this is actually not the Trump bashing piece that I wrongly assumed it was. 

"The senators — 32 Democrats, 10 Republicans and two independents — also stressed the importance of casting aside party differences in confronting impending challenges, noting that during their time in Congress, “we were allies and at other times opponents, but never enemies.”

They actually make an outstanding point about both parties and the president working together..........at least that's what I got from it. 

mojo must have accidentally posted this because his message is one that insists the opposite in order to block and stop Trump at any cost. 

By carlberky - Dec. 11, 2018, 7:09 p.m.
Like Reply

mcfarm, are you calling these men with over 60 years of service to the Senate and the Republican Party whore dogs?

Ben Nighthorse Campbell (R-Colo.), William Cohen (R-Maine), Al D’Amato (R-N.Y.), John C. Danforth (R-Mo.),
David Durenberger (R-Minn.), Chuck Hagel (R-Neb.), Richard Lugar (R-Ind.), Larry Pressler (R-S.D.),
 Alan Simpson (R-Wyo.), and John W. Warner (R-Va.) 

By mcfarm - Dec. 11, 2018, 7:17 p.m.
Like Reply

exactly carl...every single member who looked the other way as our tax dollars were used to pay off prostitutes...every single one

By WxFollower - Dec. 11, 2018, 7:38 p.m.
Like Reply

These 44 Senators  include these GOP and Independent folks whom I have always had an enormous amount of respect for: 

William Cohen, Al D’Amato, John Danforth, Chuck Hagel, Joe Lieberman, Richard Lugar, Alan Simpson, and Lowell Weicker.

In addition, I have a lot of respect for these moderate Democrats who are among the 44 who I have always felt put country ahead of their party:

Evan Bayh,  Bob Graham,  Bennett Johnston, Bob Kerrey, Sam Nunn, David Pryor, and Chuck Robb

It isn’t as if there are 44 partisan liberal John Kerreys and Tom Harkins dominating this group. If it were, this would be something I’d ignore. It is quite the contrary. And don’t forget that Mueller is a Republican.

Here is the key paragraph for me that I agree with 1,000%:

“Regardless of party affiliation, ideological leanings or geography, as former members of this great body, we urge current and future senators to be steadfast and zealous guardians of our democracy by ensuring that partisanship or self-interest not replace national interest.”

I don’t see how a lover of the USA who is not a very partisan Trump supporter couldn’t support this.

By metmike - Dec. 11, 2018, 8:27 p.m.
Like Reply

"I don’t see how a lover of the USA who is not a very partisan Trump supporter couldn’t support this."

Actually Larry, I was thinking something a bit different  too.

"I don’t see how a lover of the USA who is not a very partisan Trump hater couldn’t support this."

Which is what sent me on the wrong assumption initially  before actually reading it because it came from mojo, who is our numero uno Trump basher, hands down.

If you just do a check of posts here for the past month, for instance, you will see how lopsided the threads initiated by one side, targeting Trump with intense hate are.

It's usually the left side and when its blatant and overflowing with one sided, tunnel visioned hate(often with irrational, luny links and statements)...........that's almost always the source. 

And these people represents millions of others with a mentality just like them..........many in the media, some in politics. 

I'm not saying that the other side does not participate but holly molly, on this forum, I have thought more than a few times about this dynamic as it exists for us. 

By carlberky - Dec. 12, 2018, 10:58 p.m.
Like Reply

Nice  segue,  Mike. You managed to turn a thread calling for casting aside party differences, a thread you assumed was bashing Trump, into a thread where you bashed the left.

The only bashing in this thread has come from the right.

By metmike - Dec. 13, 2018, 3:01 a.m.
Like Reply

Carl,

Actually, what happened is that somebody that posts nothing but absurd Trump bashing all day long here, Posted A political article with a big picture of Trump looking shocked.....which he often does with his Trump bashing articles. 

I assumed that  this was just another one........incorrectly. Then, when somebody from the same side who's opinion i greatly respect made  a point about the article (you) it caused me to go back to actually read it to consider your point.......and i saw the same thing that you did and changed my mind and apologized for not reading it the first time.

so we agreed strongly on the contents and profoundly constructive purpose of the article,written by some credible sources.

however, on me bawhing the left i disagree. i was stating a rock solid fact that anybody that has been here for more than a day can tell you about the NTR section........ this place, with the exception of my posts is completely dominated by blatantly political posts and the vast majority come from a few people, one in particular in the form of very mean and hateful and often very speculative amd repetitive Trump bashing.

carl, this is not bashing the left, its stating a fact. .......on this forum, on the internet, newspapers and tv. its the reason for me to have assimed that the poet whidhmstarted  this thread  was just another one. ifmthere was ever a good reason to assume that a certain kind of post is going to comefrom a certain poster.....this was/is it.

i assumed wrongly  on this post howecer and admit it. howefer, i will gladly spend some tomorrow, going over the stats of posting here by certain posters over the last month to prove my point.

i dont consider this bashing. its pointing out a powerful dynamic that defines the type of posts that several people here make relelentlessly. i have the power to reign it in and have don so on a few rare occasions......while tolerating some over the top stuff and trying to let people,post whatever they want to post.....even when i disagree.

my analysis of what they are doing is not bashing.......its an observation.....in my opinion.

proof of this is what will happen next:

i will go on to do numerous weather, trading, history and other posts,,with no mention of the lefti, while the ones I just made an observation about, will also go on........with constant, relentless hateful Trump bashing posts.

I am not complaining because I'm the one tolerating it......for now. Just calling it what it is.

And there are plenty of opportunities for others to respond with effective rebuttals to much of it .

By TimNew - Dec. 13, 2018, 4:35 a.m.
Like Reply

I get the feeling that MOJO did not actually read/understand the article before posting.

By mcfarm - Dec. 13, 2018, 6:41 a.m.
Like Reply

I did the exact same Mike. I did not bash anyone. I states a known fact of a 17 million  slush fund that congress has to pay off women, prostitutes, concubines, or what else they choose to call them. There are 238 known claims in the fund to date which if we use the lefts logic about Trump means we have 238 members, current and past who are felons calling Trump a felon....can anybody hear the hypocrisy? If carl is so sensitive and wounded about the fact maybe he could step up and help instead of mocking others.

By carlberky - Dec. 13, 2018, 7:10 a.m.
Like Reply

" I just made an observation about, will also go on........with constant, relentless hateful Trump bashing posts."

Mike, you might have added, "and constant bashing of the left."

By mcfarm - Dec. 13, 2018, 10:37 a.m.
Like Reply

and there goes carl where all good libs go...right down the rabbit hole

By metmike - Dec. 13, 2018, 12:27 p.m.
Like Reply

Sorry for the spelling issues on the previous, middle of the night post on my Ipad(which is messed up)

I did a little analysis to prove my point with data.

Since Dec 9, there have been 38 threads started in the NTR section. I made 7 of them, none of which had anything to do with Trump(one was related to politics/climate change in France).

Carl made 5 with a bit of politics but no outright Trump bashing.

This leaves 26 posts, 15 of which were blatantly intended to be Trump bashing. This is 58% of the threads started as Trump bashing posts, when you look outside of the moderator and Carl.

Mojo led the way, with 11 posts. I did not count this one as Trump bashing, although he has the picture of Trump on his first page which means I'm probably wrong but will give him the benefit of the doubt because this was an outstanding article............so 10 with the sole intent of bashing Trump.

This day in history, can only start a new thread 1 time a day. Other than the consistency of that topic, Trump bashing threads and topics swamp everything else here.

We are sort of a microcosm of the world outside of here in many ways. There is one side doing all of this...............which, as I just proved, swamps everything else.

The right responds and starts their own one sided threads too but the numbers that I just provided from MarketForum don't lie.

Again, I have been allowing this, as long as it doesn't get too out of control and there are no personal attacks, so if there is blame............it's my fault. 

Also, to this point, I have been tolerant of it because it represents exactly the views of one side............and what the media presents, convincingly. I will chime in with my personal opinion or with facts at times(bombarding you with climate science facts) but not suppress the opinions of others here.....especially when they differ from mine.