NAFTA - what's really the issue?
12 responses | 0 likes
Started by cfdr - Feb. 19, 2018, 4:27 p.m.

I thought this was very interesting - and at least somewhat TR.

https://tinyurl.com/ybeltugu

While Donald Trump has many flaws, I have to admit that it is so refreshing to have something other than an incompetent - or corrupt - politician in that office.

Comments
Yes?
0 likes
By frey_1999 - Feb. 20, 2018, 12:27 a.m.
Like Reply

Instead of having a politician that is incompetent or corrupt we got donny dictator who is both! 

Incompetent and Corrupt

#SoSad 

Re: Yes?
0 likes
By mcfarm - Feb. 20, 2018, 6:34 a.m.
Like Reply

thank you for that thought provoking post mojo jr

Re: Re: Yes?
0 likes
By cfdr - Feb. 20, 2018, 9:09 a.m.
Like Reply

This is why the Left should never be allowed to manage anything.

What is interesting is how these trade negotiations are not getting any coverage - at least from what I've seen.  It sure looks like both Canada and Mexico have shot themselves in the foot.  I fish the Skeena River every summer/fall, and I have watched train after train come by me - full of containers.  I did't put it together until now that probably much of those imports were destined for the US - but with the volume of goods, it does make sense that at least part is headed our way.  My thoughts have always been - how can we bring all that stuff in, send our IOUs back to them, and pay people here to do nothing?

Again, with all his faults (and most are very obvious), it's good to have a competent president who has talked competent people into working for us.  Thinking about all the jobs that were moved overseas and the factories that were dismantled and moved makes me quite irritated.

Re: Re: Yes?
0 likes
By JP - Feb. 20, 2018, 10:12 a.m.
Like Reply

Isn't this index supposed to be for trade related comments only? I think a case can be made for cfdr's comments. The response to cfdr's post is clearly not trade related.

By cfdr - Feb. 20, 2018, 2:44 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks.  I wondered about the posts I made, but I think it is important, from a trade point of view, to remember that we have a president (and cabinet) that is focussed on undoing as much of the harm the previous administration did to the economy as possible.  In my favorite market, cattle, this can make a tremendous difference when it comes to demand - something that can blind-side a person, when most all analysis is on supply.

I see now where there is interest in what the president is doing regarding NAFTA.  

https://tinyurl.com/y7cz8442

"Groups such as the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, along with a growing number of lawmakers, are urging the White House to finish updating the deal and resist any urge to withdraw from the agreement."

You know that Trump is on the right track when the COC gets nervous.  (g)

By frey_1999 - Feb. 21, 2018, 12:02 p.m.
Like Reply

I would almost agree the original post COULD HAVE BEEN market related, RIGHT UP UNTIL THE LAST SENTENCE at which point the OP showed the true colors of the post.

Now I understand you agree with the last sentence so you kind of like that it was in the post but nonetheless it with out a doubt showed the post was about politics.   

By cfdr - Feb. 21, 2018, 7:49 p.m.
Like Reply

So - politics has NOTHING to do with markets??

Are you really saying that, frey?

Do you even trade - much less successfully??

The president of the United States appears about to pull us out of NAFTA.  It appears that he is sending his daughter to South Korea to inform them of what is about to take place prior to actually pulling the pin.  Countries like South Korea and China have been taking advantage of us by sending goods in through the "back doors" of Mexico and Canada.  Justin Trudeau just signed up to the TPP.  The USD has been declining, but the CD has been struggling and stands at less than 80 cents US - in spite of the declining dollar.

And you don't think politics can possibly be related to markets??

As I said, frey, you appear to be a poser.

By joj - Feb. 21, 2018, 8:49 p.m.
Like Reply

Since you have declared this thread is TR, may I just contribute that Trump is an idiot and a liar.

He abdicated our control of trade in the far east by pulling out of the trade agreements.  Now China will have their way. 

America first?  We used to be.

By cfdr - Feb. 21, 2018, 11:28 p.m.
Like Reply

Good place to end this.

"He abdicated our control of trade in the far east by pulling out of the trade agreements.  Now China will have their way. "

That is perhaps the most idiotic post I've seen.

By frey_1999 - Feb. 21, 2018, 9:58 p.m.
Like Reply

you say you trade using politics and I believe you --  which explains why you are so angry because you have had your head handed to you over the last 20 years, because of this political trading policy you proclaim.

lets see 

Short the Clinton Years  --- Ouch

Long the Bush II years  --- Double ouch

Short again the Obama years  -- Triple ouch

and to think you want to call me a poser you must be down to trading monoply money on a fake e-trade simulator account.   LOL

every time you post you keep proving my point

By cfdr - Feb. 21, 2018, 11:32 p.m.
Like Reply

Ah . . . you got me.

What can I say?

Frey -  - you're just SO SMART!

By frey_1999 - Feb. 20, 2018, 10:19 a.m.
Like Reply

seems you have nothing better to do than chase me around this forum