With the upcoming meeting of the g-20 and the side meeting between the US and china what should we be looking for
10 responses | 0 likes
Started by frey_1999 - Nov. 25, 2018, 1:06 p.m.

to show signs that things are moving forward on trade deal.  What does China need to move on, What does the US need to accept? 

As many know here I don't believe trade wars are winnable and in the end everybody will be hurt by them. but some here have a different view and are claiming that we have the upperhand with the superior Position and a much better negotiator on our side. 

To Those in that camp tell me what will a win look like and what areas are you investing in to gain on by this expected win?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts   

Comments
By mcfarm - Nov. 25, 2018, 2:41 p.m.
Like Reply

https://m.theepochtimes.com/xi-under-pressure-for-agreement-with-us-at-g-20-meeting-experts-say_2722869.html    sorry this is not what you want to hear, but these Chinese "experts" say Trump has applied serious pressure on xi

By frey_1999 - Nov. 25, 2018, 3 p.m.
Like Reply

Ok your saying trump going to win and and a anti-government Chinese  paper  based out of New York agrees  with you ( that's a shocker )  but the question still stands what will this WIN look like ?  Somebody that fully understands as you do that We  ( USA ) will win should be able to define to us what yhay win will look like

By mcfarm - Nov. 25, 2018, 3:12 p.m.
Like Reply

You are quite the case aren't your frey? The first 2 paragraphs plainly are the story from a former China official saying China will not relent. Try again with whatever anti American, anti Trump, anti free trade, anti succeed on any front you will. The point remains China screwing us has been kicked down the road for decades just like our boarder problem....sooner or later somebody has to solve these problems Hell Trump is only one to come along in decades to even have the nerve to bring them up for fear some leftist will accuse them of something or another and it ends up in the 9th circuit.

By frey_1999 - Nov. 25, 2018, 4:52 p.m.
Like Reply

No answer to the question.

What does a win look like.

You say that China has been taking advantage of us , so what needs to be done in your mind to stop this

By joj - Nov. 25, 2018, 5:12 p.m.
Like Reply

Frey - You are asking the right question.  The answer is some sort of verifiable guarantee that China will stop stealing our intellectual property.  I doubt that will happen.  I would be happy with that and an agreement for no tariffs on either side.  I doubt that will happen.

To a casual observer it might look like thus far, the US is "winning" given that our stock market has performed better than theirs.  In a situation like that between 2 generic countries the one with the stronger economy would seem to have the better position for negotiating.  But these are not 2 generic countries.

China doesn't have to answer to it's people given that it is a dictatorship.  Also, Kudlow has said "the ball is in their court".  But thus far, China seems uninterested in making a deal.  Also, China holds over a trillion of US debt:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/heres-who-owns-a-record-2121-trillion-of-us-debt-2018-08-21

That looks like a heck of a trump card to me (pardon the pun).

If there is talk of progress at the g20 and the market rallies on it, I am inclined to fade that rally.

By frey_1999 - Nov. 25, 2018, 5:38 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks for your thoughts joj tariff reduction is the spot where I think they can make headway at this meeting just not sure if that would be enough for the supporters of the trade war.

By MarkB - Nov. 26, 2018, 2:40 a.m.
Like Reply

The upposed trade war with China, is merely a ploy by Trump, to get the Chinese to come to the table on a miriad of issues. Issues that involve the employment of many people in our country. Simple jobs they may be. But we have plenty of simple workers still available.

When it comes down to intellectual property, it would be best to just not send such info to them. And not allow them to manufacture the various necessary boards that will be used in a variety of applications, from civilian to military.

As for our national debt, they hold less than 8%. Maybe less than that by now. Big whoop! Let them hold it. We might be able to get a deal to buy it back for pennies on the dollar. 

By cliff-e - Nov. 26, 2018, 6:21 a.m.
Like Reply

The "Belt and Road Initiative"...goods are still leaving China.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/china-belt-road-aspirations-press-163544459.html

By Jim_M - Nov. 26, 2018, 10:18 a.m.
Like Reply

What will a win look like?  You won't see cars called Chery any more that are derivatives of Chevy's.  You won't see Range Rover clones anymore....or a dozen other vehicles they have cloned.  

If they are that blatant with cars, what 100's of other things are they copying or using our tech to sell under a Chinese state owned company name?  There was an article out over the weekend about a Russian jet the Chinese reverse engineered.  Of course they are having problems with it, but there are very visual problems with how China does business.  

By frey_1999 - Nov. 26, 2018, 10 p.m.
Like Reply

If coping car styles is the objective that needs to be stopped then we will be in a trade war until trump is out of office. 

Car companies have been copying each other for as long as the industry has been around.

This is just one example of the problems when they get into these claims of IP theft they claim every car that looks similar that value of the car is considered Intellectual  property. Even though every car company in the world mimics  the design of another car company but virtually nobody buys a car without acknowledging brand name.