White House Must Restore Press Credentials for Jim Acosta
21 responses | 0 likes
Started by metmike - Nov. 16, 2018, 12:08 p.m.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/16/business/media/cnn-acosta-trump.html

White House Must Restore Press Credentials for CNN’s Jim Acosta, Judge Rules

A federal judge on Friday directed the White House to restore the press credentials of Jim Acosta of CNN, a win for media advocates and news organizations in a major legal test of press rights under President Trump.

The judge, Timothy J. Kelly of Federal District Court in Washington, ruled that the Trump administration had most likely violated Mr. Acosta’s due process rights when it revoked his press badge after a testy exchange with the president at a news conference last week.

The ruling was a significant but narrow victory for CNN.  the White House has the right to appeal. For now, Mr. Acosta can resume working on the White House grounds.

“I want to emphasize the very limited nature of this ruling,” the judge said from the bench. “I have not determined that the First Amendment was violated here.”

Comments
By wglassfo - Nov. 16, 2018, 12:47 p.m.
Like Reply

I hope the forum will allow me to add my thoughts to the issue at hand

I have no idea what our country would do or rule, but seems to me this is something that could involve more than just you folks. We might have the same issue some day.

Is CNN any more important than some poor reporter in the back row. True CNN is a major news outlet but maybe a bit of time spent like the rest of those who get very little or no time to ask a question would appreciate CNN not being allowed any time that others would appreciate and act in a responsible manner  for questions

Where is it written that CNN ha to be recognized at  any or every press conference. Just ignore CNN and let them have a seat and the win that in reality means nothing. Doesn't Trump have the power at a press conference to answer anybody he choses. So  CNN won in court, okay let them say they won all they want.  Just  let them sit and be ignored day after day. Trump can always point out that others seldom if ever get a chance to ask a question.

Is CNN that much better or more important than anybody else in the room??? 

By mcfarm - Nov. 16, 2018, 3:12 p.m.
Like Reply

dare anyone here to read the 5th amendment or the first for that matter and not decide just how tortured the English and butchered the logical thought must of been in this judges mind to reach the conclusion he reached...double dare you to take those very straight forward words and try to apply them to cnn and acosta

By TimNew - Nov. 16, 2018, 3:54 p.m.
Like Reply

Not sure how the 5th would apply here.  And I can't imagine how refusing someone access to a press conference could raise conflict with "Congress shall make no laws..  etc etc" 

I am not familiar with law as it applies to press access to white house press briefings, but it seems to me those, and access would be at the pleasure of the CIC.   I'm sure that will be established in the coming weeks, should the white house make the ill conceived decision to pursue this.

Was not heavily in agreement with Trump et.al for banning Acosta.  There are better ways.   Maybe we'll see them in the next few weeks..   But certainly, the press briefings themselves will now be bigger news  than the actual news discussed

By mcfarm - Nov. 16, 2018, 3:59 p.m.
Like Reply

ohh vandy the way then libs have so tortured something as simple and direct our constitution and its amendments most anyone can try to claim the have been denied their rights....problem is trying to apply the law correctly and  not bend , blow and break its sacred definition. It means what it says, it is not a living document to be bent and butchered whenever the wind changes....now go troll else where, it was so nice when you were gone

By mcfarm - Nov. 16, 2018, 4:05 p.m.
Like Reply

Tim that to me is the problem. I agree the WH has far more important things to do than mess with this idiot acosta in court....and yet if they let it slide bad, rude knucklehead Acosta etal gets away with this over and over

By TimNew - Nov. 16, 2018, 6:32 p.m.
Like Reply

Trump has the opportunity to make the decision.  Does he set the stage where two buffoons battle it out, or let one buffoon demonstrate his buffoonery to the world before he politely dismisses him and moves on.

I suspect what we'll get is two buffoons.  

Oh well.  Meanwhile,  aside from the buffoonery, the economy continues to heat up and the US continues to improve.

By mcfarm - Nov. 16, 2018, 7:17 p.m.
Like Reply

maybe 2 buffoons but one is the President who had an invited guest acting like an idiot...the guest had no right to debate, only to politely ask a question, then sit down and shut up...1 buffoon has to be in charge and the President is always in charge. I suspect it would help greatly if cnn had any common sense they would train their reporters on manners. And am using the word reporters very loosely

By joj - Nov. 16, 2018, 9:58 p.m.
Like Reply

Only Sean Hannity should be allowed in the press room.

Actually, my guess is that Trump loves calling on CNN.  Then he can hurl names at them and call them fake news etc..

He can't say "you're fired", but basically we are watching The Apprentice. 

I love it when people quote the president on something serious like today when he said "China wants to make a deal on trade."  Why on earth anybody would believe anything that comes out of this pathological liars mouth is beyond me.  I mean, it could be true, but why would anyone listen to him?

By mcfarm - Nov. 17, 2018, 10:17 a.m.
Like Reply

again more proof of lib thinking a logic...."only sean Hannity" really and to think Sean Hannity is not a reporter, just a small detail there.....but here again the left cannot possible figure the difference between a reporter {or what they used to be} and a opinion guy {hannnity} ...its really not that hard joj...think Brain Williams and his lies or dan rather and his, those are the current day reporters

By metmike - Nov. 17, 2018, 3:13 p.m.
Like Reply

Watch the entire video of the Acosta incident.

To decide whether his pass should have been revoked or not, one needs to only ask one question:

"What if the other 65 reporters in the room at this press conference all acted just like this?"

Keep in mind that Acosta is like this all the time but has just been getting more brazen and this particular incident was pretty bad.

To allow/condone such disrespect and a complete refusal to yield his time....disrespecting every other reporter and news organization there, waiting to ask questions(some that never get the chance because there isn't enough time) is so blatantly unacceptable as to make suspending his pass a no brainer. 

Restoring his pass, is setting a bad precedent. It say's "this behavior is ok"

If you think that his behavior is ok, I'd like to know why you think this was ok.

If you think it was not ok(and he has been acting this way for a long time) I would like to know why he should be allowed to stay and act this way.

Trump could ignore him of course but what Trump is doing, is not banning CNN from the press conferences and not refusing to take CNN questions, despite his feud with CNN, what Trump wants, is for CNN to send another reporter that follows rules/protocal and acts respectful(to every body in the room) so that  he can continue to take questions from CNN.

This is not a freedom of the press issue. Trump is not banning CNN. He suspended just one reporter because that one reporter continues to break the rules. 

Sometimes, when the wrong ruling takes places, it actually makes the point even more obvious. Had the judge ruled to allow Trump to kick Acosta out(sure, one side, the media and CNN would be upset) but I think most reasonable people using critical thinking would have thought "dugh, of course this behavior can't be allowed"

Instead, ruling the other way, condones this behavior and has critically thinking people, actually feeling empathy for Trump............that he has to put up with this horrible behavior/treatment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCEOnHHyq_Q

By cfdr - Nov. 17, 2018, 5:01 p.m.
Like Reply

I told my wife that what Trump needs is to have a switch for each mic on the lectern.

By joj - Nov. 17, 2018, 6:38 p.m.
Like Reply

I was joking about Hannity.  How could you not see that?

By mcfarm - Nov. 17, 2018, 8:05 p.m.
Like Reply

so the joke was Hannity is a reporter? or they now allow opinion program guys into WH press conferences to ask questions? You are of course so full of it you do not which end its coming out....you stepped right into it with your TDS, no backing out now...of course you could call Brain Williams to your aid, he was good at not telling the truth also

By TimNew - Nov. 17, 2018, 8:51 p.m.
Like Reply

Let's keep in mind that the Judge allowed for a temporary injunction as he considers the arguments.  He has in no way established Acosta's right to be an asshat and he further stressed that the White House is in no way obligated to even acknowledge Acosta's presence.  This is not a victory for Acosta or CNN.  It's a temporary stay.  I still believe the press briefings are at the whim and pleasure of the CIC and I am pretty sure the final ruling will reflect the same.

That being said,  I hope Trump et.al. will not pursue this to an embarrassing extent.  I think they'll accomplish far more by allowing Acosta to continue to be an asshat and showcasing his TDS asshatness.

By mojo - Nov. 18, 2018, 9:03 a.m.
Like Reply

tRump said: "White House reporters MUST show me respect because I'm the POTUS."

Yes, he actually said that.

By carlberky - Nov. 18, 2018, 9:19 a.m.
Like Reply

IMHO, while I have no love for the man, the office of the POTuS , like the flag, deserves respect. 

By mcfarm - Nov. 18, 2018, 11:25 a.m.
Like Reply

exactly Carl but why is it that this is the first Presidential office cnn has dared attempt to disrespect this way? Ohh TDS you say