Why am I not a homeless person
6 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Oct. 7, 2018, 9 p.m.

Tell me why we have so many homeless people

Perhaps you might have a solution

Do we ignore the situation

What is different from me and a homeless person

Why am I sitting in a comfortable house, with enough and more to live on, whilst others have nothing or almost nothing. I am not a 1% but comfortable

Accident of birth/ intelligence, education, special skills something else???

I have paid for farmland which at current rental rates is more than enough to live on, an investment portfolio, money in the bank, physical gold and silver.

Am I at risk of losing my assets and life style due to unintended consequences that I don't know about???

Complex question, I know

Comments
By metmike - Oct. 7, 2018, 10:42 p.m.
Like Reply

Excellent post Wayne. 

We often take our great fortunes for granted. We have better lives than 95% of people on the planet.

We live in an age where most poor Americans have it better than kings and queens did 1,000 years ago..............probably even 150 years ago, at the end of the Civil War. 

But not the homeless:

Why there are so many unsheltered homeless people on the West Coast

http://theconversation.com/why-there-are-so-many-unsheltered-homeless-people-on-the-west-coast-96767

"the high rate of homelessness can be attributed to the lack of affordable housing in these regions. The West Coast suffers from rising costs of rental housing, stagnant incomes for low-wage workers and a decline in federal support for affordable housing. For example, California has gained 900,000 renter households since 2005, but lost US$1.7 billion in state and federal funding for affordable housing."

By metmike - Oct. 7, 2018, 10:58 p.m.
Like Reply

Mapping America's Intractable Homelessness Problem

https://www.citylab.com/equity/2017/04/map-america-homeless-crisis/522339/

By wglassfo - Oct. 7, 2018, 11:13 p.m.
Like Reply

Hi Mike

I read that article and I say baloney to the authors solution.

Affordable housing.?? If the dang rent is too much then move some place else. Do these people have a job that keeps them in one spot. Some do and they need to take a hard look at the wage they earn vs. the expense. I bet you Wal Mart pays just as much in N Dakota as in LA. But you could dang well find a small town to live in and maybe a spot of land to grow some food. I have been in LA. It is not the only place in the USA. Heck even N California has open space to live and work.

When I was trucking prostitution was a big thing at most truck stops. Drugs was the thing that drove the industry. And it was an industry with pimps and hookers. Trust me: the other side of the street is not pretty. Heck, even the cops were in on the game. One truck stop the girls had to pay 200.00 by 10 o'clock or be carted off to jail. The cop car drove in and sat under the only bright over head light pole in plain sight. And these suckers gave me a speeding ticket in Detroit. I was tempted but said yes sir, no sir, even though I was travelling with the flow of traffic. in the slow lane..The thing I was trying to say is some can't escape their situation.

But: Back to homeless. If these people would have an once of self respect and gumption, they would move to a place that housing was more affordable and they would work, grow some of their food, maybe help with a farm harvest or planting after hrs or week ends and generally make something of their life. Heck if you are not too old there are programs that will help you earn a licience to drive a truck. Better than homeless

Addicted drug users or alcoholics is a sickness and needs to be treated as such. But the patient has to try or it will not work. I say this as a long time smoker that kicked the habit so I have some appreciation of the problem.

Sorry for the rant, but sitting back and wishing your problems away will not work.

I really do think some people really don't care and some just don't know how to make a better life.

Cheaper housing. You and I know that you have to have some skin in the game or it won't work.

Sorry if this makes no sense. I just went on a tear as things popped into my head.

By TimNew - Oct. 8, 2018, 7:42 a.m.
Like Reply

The lack of affordable housing on the west coast is a creation of government..   So naturally people feel more government will solve it..

I read an article not too long ago where a builder had to spend 47k to get all the permits required to build a house in the state of Washington. 47 thousand added to the price of the house before the 1st nail is driven. I'm sure much the same is the case in California,  if not worse.

So,  let's get more government and fix this,  right?

By metmike - Oct. 8, 2018, 12:55 p.m.
Like Reply

It's very complicated and easy to make assumptions by applying what we know is true in our own lives............that lead to judging others........who have not had the same environments, experiences, heredity and other factors that play a key role. 

If you are somebody lucky enough to be in a comfortable place in life, especially because of hard work, do pat yourself on the back because you've earned it. 

However, there are legit reasons that others have not been able to achieve the same successes.............despite all  of them having at least some opportunities to do so. You should be helping them, not judging them.

My Dad grew up in the inner city of Detroit and never met his dad but became a successful industrial engineer and the best father/husband on the planet...............better than those who were given instructions from birth showing them the way. 

He could judge the rest of the world, that does/did not measure up to the standards that he set for himself.

Instead,  he recognized that he was special and had an obligation to SHARE his gifts with others to lift up those around him.   In other words, it's even better to spend less time dwelling on our own successes and more time assisting others that have been unable to achieve the same things. 

Especially more time assisting our youngest generation to increase the chances for them to become successful.............during this critical time in their lives. 

What would be more rewarding to you?

A million dollars in savings? or

Playing a key role in saving the lives of numerous young people?

Picking the million dollars sounds pretty selfish but its what almost everybody chooses. The cool thing in the real world is that its not an all or nothing choice. One does not have to give to the point of pain..............and there are various ways to give, including as a volunteer in 1 of thousands of organizations that help make the world a better place for others............and  for us. 

The moral of the story is that, rather than judge those less successful than us, we have the opportunity(if it rings true to what we believe in) to share the product of our own successes..........which shows that we are also exceptional in things that go  beyond the realm which rewards us with material things. 

By silverspiker - Oct. 8, 2018, 9:56 p.m.
Like Reply

wowza.... you really learned an infinite amount of knowledge & wisdom from your 

father Mike... because that was really meant for sharing and being passed down....

----Thank You For Sharing Mike....