struggling with the English language
1 response | 0 likes
Started by GunterK - Sept. 14, 2018, 6:58 p.m.

when I came to the US as an immigrant, one of my price possessions was a paperback Websters Dictionary. I wanted to make sure that I understood the meaning of each word that came out of my mouth

However, nowadays, some words have changed their meaning

For example, when a person wants immigrants to apply for entry though the legal channels, rather than being an illegal intruder, they call him a racist. I checked, and in the dictionary the word racist has nothing to do with illegal immigration.

Today, I read about another one, regarding the meaning of this word....

Some high school in the US wants to abolish "gifted math classes".

We all know, not all high-school students are equal, when it comes to their school work. Some just want do pass high-school, and then hit the streets.... others want to go to college and get a higher education. I think it's quite proper to give the former group just a basic match education, while the latter group should attend a class for "gifted" students... a more challenging class, to prepare them for college.

And now this school wants to abolish classes for gifted students, because having a "class for gifted students " is "racist"

What??????

Gifted students come in all colors and from all ethnic backgrounds. If you are telling me that "gifted classes" are racist, you are actually telling me that intelligence (and/or the desire to do well in school) is a matter of race...... which makes YOU the hard-core racist.

which immediately brings focus to another misnomer...."political correctness"

This term is nonsense.... it should be called "political idiocy"

Comments
By wglassfo - Sept. 14, 2018, 7:48 p.m.
Like Reply

Just stick to your dictionary and forget those different meanings

Rest assured those who want to attach a different meaning are in the minority

Be proud you have studied the correct meaning of words