What is the record for most home runs by a pitcher in a career?
5 responses | 0 likes
Started by carlberky - Sept. 3, 2018, 1:57 p.m.

hint … not a Hall of Famer .

Comments
By metmike - Sept. 3, 2018, 2:14 p.m.
Like Reply

Thanks Carl,

I know the answer from looking but my first guess was barely wrong. Earl Wilson who played for the Tigers.

Most of the pitchers that barely have more home runs than him, had many more at bats as pitchers, so Wilson's homerun ratio must have been much higher. He only pitched in 11 seasons:

Wilson was known as much for his home run power as he was for his pitching. Originally a catcher, Wilson switched to pitching in 1953. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Wilson hit 35 home runs in his career: 33 as a pitcher, two as a pinch hitter, two in one game (1965), and seven in a season twice, in 740 at-bats. Only ----- (37 HRs), ------and ------ (35 each) and ------ (34) hit more home runs as pitchers, according to ESB.

By mcfarm - Sept. 3, 2018, 2:20 p.m.
Like Reply

as a side note I am almost positive a Brave pitcher hit 3 in one game and had 9 rbi's...cannot remember his name but was in the 70's I think

memory failure....had to look it up. Tony cloniger hit 2 grand slams and another hit drove in 2 for 10 ribi's...also that Ferrell hit 3 homeruns in a game several times...he must of nearly been babe ruth without the following.

By carlberky - Sept. 4, 2018, 4:29 a.m.
Like Reply

Spoiler Alert !!!

I knew Don Drysdale hit 6 homers in one season and thought he might be the answer. After I looked it up, he wasn't even close.

Wes Ferrell holds the all-time Major League Baseball record for 37  home runs hit while playing the position of pitcher. Baseball Hall of Famers Bob Lemon and Warren Spahn are tied for second with 35 career home runs apiece.

Wesley Cheek "Wes" Ferrell played for the Cleveland Indians (1927–33), Boston  Red Sox (1934–37), Washington Senators (1937–38), New York Yankees (1938–39),  Brooklyn Dodgers (1940) and Boston Braves (1941). 

By metmike - Sept. 4, 2018, 12:05 p.m.
Like Reply

Thank very much Carl!

You da man on baseball trivia!

By carlberky - Sept. 4, 2018, 1:24 p.m.
Like Reply

Yeah, Mike, with a little help from my best friend, Google !