Does Canada have any reason to sign quickly
2 responses | 0 likes
Started by wglassfo - Aug. 28, 2018, 7:11 p.m.

The press seems to want to push the narrative that Canada needs to sign on the dotted line quickly and by the end of this week. I question if the White House and the media are on the same page. The media seems to be pushing it's own message, whilst Trump is telling us about Mexico

My understanding is Trump has said he prefers to do trade deals on a one by one agreement and does not like more than one country, signing off on the same trade agreement. I agree with Trump as every country will be different and one country at a time, is enough for any trade agreement

I have been told that until Canada signs a trade agreement with the USA there is no way the senate will pass any trade bill [Mexico or Canada] that arrives on the senate floor. From my experience, there is likely to be some input from the USA/Canadian auto industry about what is contained in the auto pact, of which the finished product will be a big part of any agreement.. The supply lines have been working for yrs and a sudden change may not be in the best interests of what the CEO's of Detroit will want. I could be wrong and these details may have been under discussion for some time, but if so, nothing that I know has been in the public realm.. Of course Detroit may have expressed their needs about supply issues.

The china part seems reasonable to me and I doubt the wages paid or china will be any great concern for Canada. I would think the big three in Detroit may be more concerned than Canada, as it is the profits of the big three that will be affected, by Chinese cars entering the USA market.

Have I forgotten anything that the USA and Canada needs to consider, other than Canada has no incentive, or reason, to sign, either a bad deal, or quickly, regardless of what the media thinks.

Comments
By mcfarm - Aug. 28, 2018, 8:01 p.m.
Like Reply

trudeau and Canada should work something out now. Sorry to pick on your queen wayne but he seems to be quite the piece of work. Not working with Trump is silly on its face and long term I see Trudeau as doing  little for Canada 

By wglassfo - Aug. 28, 2018, 10:19 p.m.
Like Reply

Everything is fine with me mcfarm

We need an honest discussion on this forum, and a few barbs never hurt anybody, so long as it doesn't violate the rules of the forum.

You may not like Trudeau, and I can say that approx. 1/2 of your fellow USA citizens, don't like Trump and want him gone "impeached" Golly, we don't have that much disgust/hate etc. for our leader, so I would say, by that measurement, Trudeau is actually doing better than Trump

Of course one can measure any leader by so many variables. So what is Trudeau doing that is so bad. Trump was vilified re: "Putin summit" because he did not vilify Putin

Should Trudeau  act differently and bring a base ball bat to the world stage?? I thought Trump was perfectly correct in trying to reduce tensions with a world nuclear power, but some wanted base ball bats.

Did that make Trump look weak. Not to my way of thinking.. I thought Trump was very smart, even if he may have misspoke. Everybody is entitled to a mistake, when in the spot light, and under tremendous pressure, when every word is parsed over and over to no end.

I do have a question that might reflect on Canada and the USA re: our thoughts about the USA and Canada

Trudeau reflects those values as good as any Canadian leader could. Our history, our values and why we expect Trudeau to reflect those Canadian values.

I did a post under the heading "Trump" down below.  You need to read that post and think a bit, why we do what we do, and what we consider good Canadian manners vs boasting about Mexico.

So far nobody has ventured a reply of any sort to my post down below under the heading "Trump"

I wonder why???

I know my post was very long but all the info in that post is well known in Canada. I decided it was time somebody  reminded you about some things you and your fellow citizens should know

Actually I think since the truth was so evident, there is no good response you could make

There seems to be some different numbers as to 62.5% and 70%